Valued Contributor

REVIEWS Please post Judith Ripka August 2014 REVIEWS here... :)

Boiling hot and a major drought here in SoCal and way too much stuff on the personal front going plus our always-entertaining local politics (our mayor tried to arrest a local attorney/activist who is very close to exposing his corruption and when that didn't work, tried unsuccessfully to file a restraining order for stalking; the security guard mayor is nearly a foot taller than the attorney/activist). Plus we're very close to a settlement for our local police brutality case....I spy an upcoming JRQ celebration in the works!

Anyway, another month of Judith Ripka reviews are on the horizon. The premise of this thread is simple: review after review after review. And not just JRQ (new designs, older pieces, clearance, Lunchtime Specials, TSVs, OTOs, Insider, Limited Quantity, "As Is" and Last Clicks). Also everything Judith Ripka counts. In addition to the Q, that would include Judith's brick and mortar stores, Sawgrass Outlet (friendly SAs can do everything via email and photos, if you cannot get to Florida), JudithRipka dot com, elite department stores, their websites including Last Call; independent jewelers and their sites. Also Sam's Club and RuLaLa, Ideeli, Bluefly, and Gilt online. And possibly the biggest trading is Over There (major auction site) and Ripkanista-to-Ripkanista trading.

If you have something to share about a JR treasure, please post it! And if you have a single thread discussing a single piece, please copy your original post to our review-after-review-after-review format. Photos are welcome!

Please, if you are reviewing a JRQ design, please add the J-number for Q pieces. With inventory holding steady at 1,300 J-numbers it is now nearly impossible to know from description which piece you are talking about.

Finally, there's lots of great Q pieces and bargains that can be mixed for variety with JR, please add that review if you have a "find" to share with the Ripkanistas.

So, let's get reviewing and thanks in advance. Beautiful, defective or just meh, Ripkanistas need to know the truth about your JR experience. Make this August thread a great one! ~Peach

Contributor

Re: REVIEWS Please post Judith Ripka August 2014 REVIEWS here... :)

J290447 tri-color triple hoop earrings from the last, very brief visit, may just finally cure the two-year yearning for the yellow clad Sunlace pair that never left backorder. I already knew that I loved them even though they never came, because I have the sterling and the rose.

The tri-color design is not quite as Bohemian as the Sunlace, but will do nicely. The clad colors are beautiful, though the inner rose-colored circle does not show the clad as much, due to the size of it and the Diamonique covering it. I do not think of myself as a Diamonique-type person, but, for the most part, when I get Ripka designs that use it, I do not wonder why the designer chose for it to be used in the way it is used.

They were a bit more than I like to spend, but, clip hoops that are this fun, beautiful, and versatile are not easy to find. I did not want to go on a yearning jag for another pair like the yellow Sunlace, so I took the plunge when they were marked down a little.

From the longer visit just before this, I got the all yellow version of the old Garland sterling design (J316168), which is slightly different from the ones that are currently on the site named Garland. They are even prettier than the sterling that I got a few years ago, and I have always loved those.

You would not believe the compliments that I get on both of the Garland colors and both of the Sunlace colors, even from men! We will have to see if the the new tri-color design illicits the same, as they arrived only yesterday.

Hi, Peach, and Everyone Else, too.

Valued Contributor

Thanks TK1234!

Any Ripkanistas care to share their JR experiences? Any JR piece counts, not just JRQ.

I noticed that the last TSV got some very interesting reviews due to the small space in the earlobe well of the earring plus the tight omegas. Can anyone tell me if these earrings were made in Thailand or was it China? I certainly hope JR isn't taking the manufacturing to China. Someone posted in a product page review that there was no mark on the earrings. In the past due to this issue, I've had to bend the bottom of the part that holds the omega clip down and then have the omega itself made looser by a jeweler. Oy!

Will be back later this weekend with a set of mini-reviews of all the Last Clicks and "As Is" JRQ designs that I own.

Please add your reviews if you have a moment! Thanks~Peach

Contributor

Peach, it looks like the yellow TSV that I have are stamped, "Thailand," but the stamp is really, really tiny so I am only about 98% certain. As mine are clips, the opening has not caused any issues.

hth

Valued Contributor

On 8/9/2014 tk1234 said:

Peach, it looks like the yellow TSV that I have are stamped, "Thailand," but the stamp is really, really tiny so I am only about 98% certain. As mine are clips, the opening has not caused any issues.

hth

tk1234, so good to know that JR is sticking with Thailand (though I do know that a very small number of pieces were made in China many years ago - a carved Blue Lace Agate bead station necklace comes to mind, stamped "WK"). Thanks! ~Peach

Valued Contributor

Starting with the promised Last Clicks/ "As Is" Mini-reviews of what I own off of the current JRQ lists:

LAST CLICKS REVIEWS: J265080 Textured round 1/8" skinny bangle

GRADE: B; Yea: beautiful alternating matte/satin narrow Berge twists (2) with shiny wider Berge (1) twist; Boo: tad high, even at LC price; Value (1=low;10=high): 6. This cute bangle is not particularly bendy, offers a subtle bit of flash to the wrist and compliments a watch. Don't fear the size small left in stock which fits my average hand and small wrist. My palm at widest point poised to put on a bangle (fingers together in a pointed position) measures 2 1/2" across and wrist across is just over 2".

J264589 12mm white Coin Pearl ring with .30 Diamonique station in center of pearl

GRADE: A; Yea: major designer piece, not too bold or too small; Boo: watch centering of DMQ station on pearl; Value (1=low;10-high): 8. Easily sized (my local jeweler charges $20), this is a classically beautiful ring that could be rotated in and out of any Ripkanista's jewelry collection for infinity.

More to come! ~Peach

Super Contributor

Lucky Peach, I got two prs of the TSV earrings in the pierced style. They both are stamped Thailand. I have a thicker earlobe and have no problems at all with them. I bought a pr for my DD#2 and she likes them too.

Valued Contributor

Just checking to make sure this thread is still alive. I'll be adding beaucoup reviews tomorrow on JR's day off from Designer Week. I saw a thread in Beauty that dearest Joan Rivers was in the hospital with a complication from throat surgery (NOT plastic surgery) and tried to post my shock and sadness and prayers but it said this recent thread was closed to comments. I love Joan and think the Q should reopen that thread ASAP. Thanks to her I have one of the best parts of my life for decades now: my beloved Yorkies. Just venting. ~Peach

Honored Contributor

On 8/9/2014 LuckyPeach said:

Thanks TK1234!

Any Ripkanistas care to share their JR experiences? Any JR piece counts, not just JRQ.

I noticed that the last TSV got some very interesting reviews due to the small space in the earlobe well of the earring plus the tight omegas. Can anyone tell me if these earrings were made in Thailand or was it China? I certainly hope JR isn't taking the manufacturing to China. Someone posted in a product page review that there was no mark on the earrings. In the past due to this issue, I've had to bend the bottom of the part that holds the omega clip down and then have the omega itself made looser by a jeweler. Oy!

Will be back later this weekend with a set of mini-reviews of all the Last Clicks and "As Is" JRQ designs that I own.

Please add your reviews if you have a moment! Thanks~Peach

FYI - Judith Ripka has no say in where or how these pieces are designed or manufactured...in fact, she doesn't even design them anymore.

She sold out to an investment firm - not another design house. These investors squeeze every last bit of value they can from a designer's brand name - then discard it or sell it.

JR sold out...I figured as much since the value of her QVC pieces went down alarmingly in the last few years.

Trusted Contributor

Since you asked me Peach, here are my reviews for my August purchases:

J294208-Judith Ripka Sterling & 14K Gold Clad Pave' Wrapped in Love Diamonique Cuff - Avg (ordered it in June on advanced order but didn't receive it till August so I am counting it as August purchase)

I have a 6 1/2" wrist and have learned Judith's average size cuffs fit me perfectly and this was no exception. It is a beatiful cuff with just enough diamonique so that I can wear it both casual and dressy. I had passed on the matching TSV ring but now will need to purchase that as well since the cuff is a keeper.

J275963-Judith Ripka Sterling 10.0mm Cultured Pearl Pendant on Adj. Chain

Ordered this on waitlist on 07/17 as an LTS and received it in August. I have had this pendant on my wishlist forever. The pearl has a beautiful luster. This is just a great, jeans and white t-shirt kinda necklace. Exactly as I thought it would be. And at the LTS price of $49.96 ($60.81 after tax, S&H) a great buy.

J288320-Judith Ripka Sterling 10.5ct Aventurine and Diamonique Drop Earrings

Ordered this at a LTS price of $99.55 ($116.35 after tax and S&H). When I opened the box my mouth literally opened. The diamonique just sparkled like crazy. The stones themselves are a lovely shade of pale green. I do not find them heavy. I did not expect these earrings to be so dressy. Unlike the pearl necklace, for me, these are not a t-shirt and jeans kinda earrings. I feel they would go best when you are dressing for an evening out. I plan to wear these with a black or navy blue dress. Think they will look stunning.