Super Contributor

I have the leather corded heart necklace with a magnetic connecting piece and matching earrings from over ten years ago.. They are absolutely nothing like the things she sells now, not in weight or color. Can anybody explain why she changed and when the good stuff ceased to be produced. Just curious really what happened.

Super Contributor

Really, not one so called Ripkanista knows the history here? I guess you guys automatically assume the worst when in fact I just wanted to know. Nevermind, I will just continue to snatch up the good pieces on Ebay...thats where they are now.

Esteemed Contributor

Are they up at 2:25 am?

Super Contributor

Probably when more avarice became involved and price increases were introduced and quality went downhill, like everything else. It's a pity.

Trusted Contributor
On 8/2/2014 Spunkyspouts said:

I have the leather corded heart necklace with a magnetic connecting piece and matching earrings from over ten years ago.. They are absolutely nothing like the things she sells now, not in weight or color. Can anybody explain why she changed and when the good stuff ceased to be produced. Just curious really what happened.

I have those pieces as well as the bracelet. They are great pieces.

Judith Ripka Sterling Diamonique Heart Enhancer w/Leather Cordj3724

Judith Ripka Sterling Diamonique Heart Bracelet w/Leather Strapj0041

Judith Ripka Sterling Diamonique Signature Heart Earringsj8295

Since the item #'s are only 4 digits, you can tell they are from many years ago.

The bracelet was my very first piece of Ripka.

They are classic pieces and still look good today.

I agree that the prices are much higher now, so I really appreciate the older pieces I have.

Lately, I have been getting some good buys on clearance items and LTS items.

I have some Ripkanista friends who own some of the latest higher priced pieces, like this cuff.Judith Ripka Sterling 21.70 cttw Gemstones & Diamonique Cuff - J294478

In person, they are truly spectacular. They could absolutely be mistaken for pieces from the Madison Ave store, which I have been to many times.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

Here in my two cents, and guess. Just like my tastes have evolved (when I was younger, I liked petite jewelry and less flash and now I like things a bit bolder and bigger). I have to think the drive in the costs has to do with:

1. Designs being more intricate because of the desire of the designer to expand and grow

2. Cost of materials

3. Price being driven up by the demand of the consumer

Not in any particular order. I don't know that old vs new is better just different in design and cost. I have pieces like the one above, that I love and I have pieces from after that (the first snake collection in the black MOP) I love and I also have a few of the new pieces in the Rose clad that I love. My collection evolved with the changes too.

Deb

Honored Contributor
On 8/2/2014 BlingQueen022 said:

Are they up at 2:25 am?

Not to mention, how could any of us possibly really KNOW without equivocation why Ripka and QVC have chosen the path they have. The easy answer is money and while I'm sure that's a significant factor, the reality is probably a bit more complex...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Can I also add that artist's designs evolve. Their inspiration and the work that results from it is ever changing and not static. Sure, there are other factors like cost of materials but an artist views those limitations as challenges to be overcome and worked around. Those issues actually make true designers rise to the top. Judith Ripka is an artist. When someone just produces more of same, well, the creative process has stopped. Artists do get bored with their older work. But in many cases those products are their bread and butter and those products fund the new creations. Many artists develop a "classics" line to keep those older designs in production and freeing themselves up for the new designs.

Super Contributor

I didn't answer because I didn't start purchasing or watching Judith Ripka until about 6 years ago.

Frequent Contributor

JMHO here. My first piece of Ripka was the Country link necklace. Toggle link, with a dangling heart attached near the toggle. It weighs 115 grams! It is all sterling silver, no rhodium plating. Can't remember the cost, I think it was around $100....a small fortune to me way back then, as a single, working mother. Today, with the price of silver, you couldn't touch that necklace for less than $1000, I'm guessing. I think that is the root cause for the difference in what you see today. Manufacturing costs have gone through the roof, even offshore. Just my two cents.