Valued Contributor

JR quartz and crystal stones...

Are her crystal stones glass or gemstone? I thought glass but isn't there such a thing as quartz crystal? Can someone clarify this for me. I just bought a stunning champagne quartz & Diamonique pendant from ebay which I think is a gemstone.

I also want to bid on a pair of pink crystal dangle earrings. Those would be glass? Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: JR quartz and crystal stones...

Rock crystal is a stone and can be colored, many of JR's things, even her JR2 line are just crystal. I learned that the hard way!! But, enjoy what you like.
Valued Contributor

Judith's JR2 line has a mix of crystal and real stones....doublets too. Her canary things are canary crystal but the color is fabulous! Now she has expanded into pink crystal, purple crystal.

If you want true stone, you will find it. Just know she does both. I tend to look for her quartz pieces and real stones...onyx, amethyst, peridot, sapphires, turquoise,rubies and diamonds when possible.

Her canary crystal are the only crystal pieces I have.

If you really love the piece, the stone may not matter....only you can decide that. But be thrilled with it no matter what! Smiley Happy

I have many of her Champagne pieces and love them...they are beautiful. They are quartz.

Honored Contributor

Quartz is a stone, crystal is glass. Pretty universal, although I bet there are some designers that don't stick to this.

Super Contributor

Very pretty enhancer! Enjoy! Classic JR for sure. Smiley Happy

BTW - I have and enjoy a lot of crystal pieces; canary, pink and light blue. The canary is my favorite! There are also other colors now that were used in the JR2 Estate line - sapphire, emerald and ruby (colored crystal, not stones). I think she also did a wide cuff with real blue sapphires that I once saw in Bloomingdales and it was gorgeous.

I have also gone with purple crystal doublets in the Brite Nites collection, and they are gorgeous! In a doublet form they look just like amethyst to me, and the design is beautiful.

Super Contributor

I have this enhancer and it is indeed a champagne quartz (with dmq stones). It is lovely! JR does both crystal, which is essentially cz, and quartz (some of her quartz is synthetic, some natural, and some treated). She also uses corundum (which is lab created blue, pink, red sapphire or ruby)...when she uses actual rubies or sapphires, she identifies them as such.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all your feedback! I love the color of the champagne quartz. It's very neutral and not too much color. The pink crystal looks a bit garish in photos. Is it a bright or a soft pink? I guess crystal is OK as a drop earring, but it doesn't seem like it would take much wear and would get dull, and worn looking as a ring. The champagne quartz pieces seem to be priced higher on Ebay, than the other quartz. I assume though that since quartz is used in watch faces, and also in other non jewelry uses, it's not an expensive stone. The quartz she uses seems to have a lot of life and sparkle though.

Super Contributor

On 7/28/2014 smarty said:

JR does both crystal, which is essentially cz,

Crystal is glass, CZ is cubic zirconia. Completely different.

Super Contributor

ennui, JR refers to her cz as "crystal"

Super Contributor

On 7/28/2014 smarty said:

ennui, JR refers to her cz as "crystal"

She shouldn't do that, then.