Valued Contributor

JR Diamonique and diamond questions...

Is something put on the stones to make them sparkle more when you first get them, or is it the oil from your hands that dulls them? I got the TSV JR earrings and when I first took them out of the pouch they had so much more fire. It happened with other faux diamonds too. I don't know much about diamonds but do these types of stones have more sparkle under artificial light than daylight, or do diamonds sparkle under all lights? I wiped them with some alcohol and the sparkle was better. When I first opened the package it was under artificial light. Just curious.

Also, one of the little ziploc bags holding one of the earrings had a little black square of plastic in there. Any significance to that? Thought it might mean there's a damage. They seem fine though. Anyone else have that square in one of the bags the earrings come in? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: JR Diamonique and diamond questions...

The little black square is an anti-tarnish strip.

Your earrings came a long way...on a ship from the Far East. The black strip is meant to keep the jewelry looking good.

Re: sparkle. There are plenty of gentle cleansers available. Make sure you use hairspray BEFORE you put on your earrings.

Super Contributor

Mine are just as bright as the day I got them. Try cleaning them & see if it makes a difference?

Respected Contributor

Don't clean them with alcohol----use Windex as Judith has instructed us...then rinse and dry with a soft cloth. I have never had an issue with loss of sparkle...they just have to be kept clean, just like a diamond.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Honored Contributor

I collect more film on the bottom of stones, inside the piece, than I do on the top. I NEVER take my jewelry off in a public restroom, so there is bound to be residue. Use a soft bristle toothbrush to clean that area with your cleaner or Windex. Don't forget necklaces and earrings, they can gradually collect oil from your skin.

Respected Contributor

Diamonique or CZs are known to get dirty faster than diamonds. I remember when Kathy Levin said this once and my jeweler has told me this as well.
Honored Contributor

You have to clean cubic zirconia more often than diamonds. Also if you use a oils and serum on your hair, that will dirty your cubic zirconia earrings.
Honored Contributor

Any oils on your skin can be transferred to your jewelry, and yes, I've heard from my jeweler, too, that any CZ attracts more dirt than diamonds. When I walk into my local jewelry stores, they pretty much always offer to clean whatever jewelry I'm wearing - doesn't matter if it's "theirs" or not. Clean jewelry is prettier jewelry!

At home, I clean gently with either windex or, for my gold, a dishwashing (not dishwasher) detergent.

Just make certain before you clean anything that you took the time to know about any stones in your jewelry - what they are, how they are set, any special instructions.