Regular Contributor

ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE ON THE HIGH PRICES

Believe it or not, I am sometimes happy to see the exorbitantly high prices on the new items for the following reasons: 1) I have been collecting JR for 7 years & have a huge collection, & when I see what I have bought years ago for the much lower prices then, I am thrilled by what I own, & thrilled that I bought as much as I did. Those feelings have eradicated any past feelings of guilt that may have lingered. I probably should have bought even more! 2) When the prices are SO far from what I expected them to be, I have no trouble deciding not to buy. Case in point: the apatite suite. With the cuff at over $1,000 & the ring at $832 & the earrings at God-knows-what, probably the whole suite will be over $3,000 & that doesn't even include an enhancer! If the cuff had been $500.00 & the ring $300.00, I would be torturing myself with those feelings of push-pull: got to have it, spending too much money,will regret later not buying it, will regret spending so much money later, etc. etc. etc. But at these prices, the decision is REAL easy & I know I won't look back.

My JR buying strategy has taken a 180 degree turn. When the new items used to be presented, I would find reasons why I absolutely HAD TO HAVE certain items. Now the first thing I do when I see the new items is try to find reasons why I don't need them, e.g. the price, item is too close to what I already have, earrings that don't have the omega backs, stones that don't have the silver backing, etc. I did cave on the multi-gemstone & spinel cuff because I don't have anything like that & it blew me away, the amethyst & black spinel earrings because I have a black/purple suite, & the garnet earrings because I have the old garnet necklace that so many ripkanistas regret not having gotten. I have managed to talk myself out of the new watch, the frog pin which is cute beyond belief, & the pink MOP pieces & the apatite pieces.

So I am buying a lot less, but that's good, because I don't really need so much more. I will always love Judith's designs which, in my opinion, are just getting better & better. I harbor no negative feelings about Judith being greedy. If she can get these prices, more power to her. If there are those who can't afford to buy these new pieces or just refuse to buy them, these ladies will not be deprived of oxygen, food, or shelter. And if they have some discretionary dollars to spend on jewelry, then some other designer will be the lucky recipient of these bucks! That is capitalism at its finest. So, whether you buy or not, enjoy the shows & the new pieces. These designs are glorious!

New Contributor

Re: ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE ON THE HIGH PRICES

Amen ripkanista sister! I only buy occasionally now. I hope her clearance goes on EP for this visit. I have my eye on the BT shrimp earrings. RG
Respected Contributor

I totally agree with you! I've got more than enough to last three lifetimes---and now I buy selected pieces...I'm no longer ""grabbing"" every piece that comes down the pike. The Apatite pieces are not even on my radar screen---stone is too soft---only mid-point on the Mohs scale for hardness. I'm getting a watch...and that ""might"" be it---haven't seen the coordinating pieces yet. But I will enjoy watching very much.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Contributor

From what I have been reading and hearing over the last couple of years, the company's business model is changing. They do a lot less brick and mortar sales.

That will shift costs on items sold online and also bring people who used to shop in stores to places like QVC. So, on top of changing shipping costs, there is the whole psychology of pricing to appeal to different types of customers.

It is just business, and, if it is a successful new model, good for the company.

True, there are plenty of examples of greed these days. But, a company adjusting to the new marketplace in order to stay in business is just doing what companies are supposed to do.

I wish people would stop acting like a business is a charity. There is a difference between a scam (legal or otherwise) and keeping a business going.

Occasional Contributor

Very well said. I fully agree with you. Thank-you for stating it so well.

Contributor

I agree completely - couldn't have said it better! I buy only what I love, and fully enjoy each piece.

On a similar note, a Chanel bag that I bought about 25 years ago is a classic and still sold today, for more than double the price I paid for mine (still in great condition). That certainly doesn't bother me!

Super Contributor

Hi, Ladies. I agree with the above posters. Very well said!!!

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, totally agree with Glitter Puss. Nicely put.
Frequent Contributor

So well put. I have been collecting for years and have many beautiful pieces that I enjoy. Some were extremely well priced and some were a splurge. I saw a few pieces I really wanted when we got an advanced peak at them but the prices are too high for me to justify. I really wanted that blue topaz cuff if were at the price and size of the smaller cuff. I am so disappointed that I don't even want to watch the shows. There is no temptation for me. If I wanted these items, I would buy them but not at $800 for diamonique, I just can't do it. It used to be so much fun spending a few hundred dollars per visit if something appealed to me, but that figure is now out of my league for an impulse purchase.

Contributor

I agree with you also. I really like the new cuffs, blue topaz,smokey quartz, and the apatite, but they are all way out of my reach. There are some affordable new items too. I still enjoy watching a show or two but now my buying is quite limited and that is better for me at this point anyway.