Esteemed Contributor

Report on Joan's death issued

NY Medical Examiner rules she died from "therapeutic complications" during a medical procedure. for complete infor go to CNN.com under Entertainment tab.
Super Contributor

Re: Report on Joan's death issued

"predictable complication" ... hmmmm, so she knew this risk?! Doesn't sound right.

Honored Contributor

I read it was propofol that blocked oxygen going to her brain. I think I've had that anesthetic for several of my endoscopy procedures. I will not take it again, not a this age.

Fact remains, she shouldn't have died.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

""Predictable complication?"" I wonder if that means that if she were in a hospital or someplace PREPARED for the PREDICTABLE she may have had a chance? I guess I'll have to go do some reading.

Respected Contributor

Any operation can render "complications" .... this REPORT is vague and very suspect. Poor Joan, she should be with us today!

Valued Contributor

""therapeutic complications NOT ""predictable!""

Honored Contributor

If it really were predictable they wouldn't have done it. CYA.

Honored Contributor

This is what was in the article I just read:

On Thursday, the New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner issued the following statement: "The cause of Ms. Rivers's death is anoxic encephalopathy due to hypoxic arrest during laryngoscopy and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy with Propofol sedation for evaluation of voice changes and gastroesophageal reflux disease. The manner of death is therapeutic complication."

The OCME continued, "The classification of a death as a therapeutic complication means that the death resulted from a predictable complication of medical therapy."

Basically, the legendary comedian was sedated with the drug Propofol when she was going in for a procedure to treat voice changes and acid reflux. Anoxic encephalopathy means that Rivers's brain was deprived of oxygen for a prolonged period of time, which sent her into cardiac arrest. Joan was then rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital, where she remained in a medically induced coma, but was unable to breathe her own. On Sept. 4 she was taken off life support and passed away at the age of 81.

Regular Contributor

Isn't the reason that Propofol is supposed to be used in a hospital setting for exactly this type of thing? That a patient could stop breathing and need to be resuscitated? This was covered very thoroughly during the Conrad Murray trial (Michael Jackson's doctor). I guess I don't understand why someone would be given treatment in a facility that did not have the capabilities to save them in a worst case scenario.

Super Contributor

On 10/16/2014 ssssgirl said:

"therapeutic complications NOT "predictable!"

YES, "predictable" ........... I can read..........

Joan Rivers died of lack of blood oxygen to the brain in a "predictable complication" of throat surgery, according to the New York City Medical Examiner's office.

The comedienne, 81, died Sept. 4. She had been rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York on Aug. 28, after she stopped breathing while undergoing the procedure, and was then placed in a medically induced coma.