Trusted Contributor

Any Thoughts About SNL Joan Comedy Skit? Too Soon?

I saw this last night and although it was meant as a "tribute" to Joan, I felt it was too soon. It was a skit about Joan in heaven.

I know Sarah Silverman is a big fan of Joan's, but not sure it was the right time. Any thoughts?

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/sarah-silverman-plays-joan-rivers-saturday-night-live-s...

Honored Contributor

Re: Any Thoughts About SNL Joan Comedy Skit? Too Soon?

I didn't like it, not because of it being the wrong time. I just don't like Sarah Silverman.

Super Contributor

My first thought was 'too soon' ... but then I realized what Sarah Silverman was doing was exactly what Joan did often and well. So many times I would first laugh at Joan's joke and then think 'too much'? That's one of the things that made her so great! So last night's skit was really a homage to Joan.
Super Contributor

The outfit she chose was horrible, a mishmash. Her delivery was full of botched up lines and the timing was worthy of going back to sundials.

I don't think it is too soon. Some lines made me laugh, and that is what Joan always wanted/wants--is for people to laugh and not take things so seriously, about themselves, and others.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was way too soon......I'm not a fan of Sarah Silverman, but would have felt that way no matter who impersonated Joan. Silverman totally messed up the skit....mis-read the que cards which flubbed most of the so-called jokes. Frankly, the only funny part of the show was the opening "O" skit.....the rest of the show was pathetic.

Super Contributor

ahh, Joan was probably having a good laugh right along with them. She did not want her funeral to be sad, and I know she wants people to be happy and enjoy life.

Respected Contributor

I turned it off during her monolog, it was bad. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

On 10/5/2014 brii said:

I didn't like it, not because of it being the wrong time. I just don't like Sarah Silverman.

I am so with you there. I really don't like her. There is something I'd guess a combination of she comes off as Mercenary and being willing to do or say what ever for Money, then she also has this "I'm a cute girl being dirty aren't I shocking" way about her. Like she gets into being really tacky raunchy, as if she gets into grossing people out and shocking their sensibilities. I don't know if that makes any sense but I really, really don't like her. I'm glad I didn't watch.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the comments. I think SNL has been bad for years. The writing is what I call Frat Boy humor. It's not funny and it's not smart. I also thought that Silverman flubbed the lines and made it hard to even follow the skit. No one else in that skit screwed up their lines.

I think Joan would have laughed, but deserved a much better script to honor her humor. It's obvious that no one can do Joan. She was one of a kind.

Honored Contributor

I bet Joan loves it.