Esteemed Contributor

<h1 class="hf1">Joan Rivers</h1> <h3 class="hf2-case">Personal Doc During Fatal Procedure</h3> <h2 class="hf3">ENT to the Stars</h2> <h5 class="article-posted-date">9/17/2014 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF</h5>
EXCLUSIVE

0917_Dr-Gwen-Korovin_tmz_facebook_sub
Joan Rivers
' personal doctor who was working on Joan when she stopped breathing is Dr. Gwen Korovin, who treats the biggest celebs in the world ... multiple sources tell TMZ.

We're told Dr. Korovin was not authorized to practice medicine at Yorkville Endoscopy center. CNN has reported Joan's personal physician took a selfie while performing a biopsy on the comedienne.

Dr. Korovin's patient list reads like a celeb who's who. Her patients include Celine Dion, Lady Gaga, Hugh Jackman, John Mayer, and Brooke Shields.

Dr. Korovin's Facebook page has a pic of the doc in her office with pics of her celeb patients lining the walls.

0917_Dr-Gwen-Korovin_facebook
The doctor has done interviews in which she says she brings a black bag to the dressing rooms of A-list stars and administers "on-the-spot treatment."

We reached out to Doctor Korovin's office and were told, "We do not comment on matters related to patients."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3DbzHysDN

Esteemed Contributor

Re: JOAN'S PERSONAL DOC ON TMZ

One would think that a person who goes through medical school would have enough smarts to make good decisions. Obviously, that is not always the case. If the information posted here is correct, then a combination of fame worship and professional ego led this doctor down a road that should have been closed after the Michael Jackson tragedy and the jailing of his doctor. We often think celebrities get the best possible medical care that money can buy. However, it seems that sometimes there are doctors who will take short cuts or break the rules in the name of celebrity.
Super Contributor

She need the bags under her eyes done!
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 gazelle77 said: She need the bags under her eyes done!

ha! that was the first thing I noticed.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 gazelle77 said: She need the bags under her eyes done!

She needs help from Joan's plastic surgeon!

Trusted Contributor

If she's so concerned about patient privacy as stated in her office's comments to TMZ, why does she have pictures of her patients on her walls and publicly displays them. And if she did take a selfie, that is a total violation of patient privacy rights.

My aunt has a urologist who treats famous patients. If you have an appt the day a famous person is there, too bad. You are left to wait and treated like a 2nd class citizen. This doctor will personally go to the lobby to greet the celebrity and take them back to his office, but not the "regular" patient. Doctors love the notoriety and being in the company of the rich and famous. Conrad Murray wasn't the first and won't be the last who is obsessed with fame and fortune at the expense of his patients.

Respected Contributor

sickening

Valued Contributor

I'm certainly not trying to take sides or defend anyone. I did hear a doctor discussing the unauthorized biopsy. He said that if a physician doing an endoscopy sees something that looks alarming enough, they may do the biopsy right then and there. He said that if the patient is an 81 yr old, all the more reason rather than risking another general anesthesia. My understanding is that the swelling that occured as a result - is what caused oxygen to be cut off. 'Wonder why they didn't do a trach if that was the case unless the point of swelling was too low. So sad, and such a great loss. I started crying talking about it the other night.. MrSuesCat thought i was nuts!

Btw, in the second photo in the op, that sure looks like our Kathy Levine's picture on the wall!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Super Contributor

If I was one of her celebrity clients I'm not so sure I'd want her anywhere near me. I find taking selfies with a famous patient not awake is repulsive and Joan I highly doubt would have wanted that.
Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Vivian said: One would think that a person who goes through medical school would have enough smarts to make good decisions. Obviously, that is not always the case. If the information posted here is correct, then a combination of fame worship and professional ego led this doctor down a road that should have been closed after the Michael Jackson tragedy and the jailing of his doctor. We often think celebrities get the best possible medical care that money can buy. However, it seems that sometimes there are doctors who will take short cuts or break the rules in the name of celebrity.
Not only Michael Jackson but Elvis,Marilyn Monroe,Anna Nicole Smith and the list goes on with celebrity doctors who IMO don't have their clients best interests. Allegedly taking selfies and performing non-consented surgery is IMO a crime.