Trusted Contributor

I Just Found a Large Turtle in My Yard - in AZ Desert?? A Message from Joan? :)

I just went outside to take in my American flag tonight and there is a turtle about 8" in length upside down in my yard! I live in the AZ Desert... we don't have turtles just walking down the street. We had recent rains last week but that was awhile ago and today it was hot and sunny. He's upside down, so not sure how that happened. Not sure if that means he's dead.

I called the wildlife rescue folks here to come and take a look.

I had to laugh and think of Joan. Perhaps it's a message to keep patient and take slow steps on my journey. I never expected to see a large turtle near my cactus plant! I hope the animal EMT's come out soon and make sure it's okay.

It just made me think of Joan and her messages about the turtles. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

Re: I Just Found a Large Turtle in My Yard - in AZ Desert?? A Message from Joan? :)

That was unusual. Thanks for taking care of it. I always heard people say when they see a butterfly or a cardinal, it reminds them of someone who has gone. Maybe you can add turtles to that list.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Just Found a Large Turtle in My Yard - in AZ Desert?? A Message from Joan? :)

When I lived in the Mojave Desert we used to see large turtles fairly frequently. Several of my friends were licensed to take them in. I "rescued" one that was crossing a highway and found out from my vet that even in that case, put them by the side of the road where you found them
Trusted Contributor

The wildlife people haven't called back yet. I hope he's okay. I don't want to touch it or hurt it. I have zero experience with reptiles.

I have a little bunny who visits me sometimes and I feed him carrots and lettuce, but never seen a large turtle before!

I believe in butterflies and people in our lives. The day my father passed away, a butterfly kept flying over my head... a monarch. It would follow me around the yard and then when I went back out an hour or so later, it (or another one) was stll there, circling around me. I knew my Dad was still with me somehow.

Respected Contributor

MJ Fan, HI, just wanted to clarify what you found in your yard. It is better known as a tortoise which lives on land. It is aka as a land turtle.

Honored Contributor

So you just left it upside down? You didn't even attempt to help it out by turning it over, even with gloves on or something? They will die if they are left upside down for too long as they can't get out of the sun or move or eat and drink. Go turn it over.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

On 9/14/2014 jaxs mom said:

So you just left it upside down? You didn't even attempt to help it out by turning it over, even with gloves on or something? They will die if they are left upside down for too long as they can't get out of the sun or move or eat and drink. Go turn it over.

My neighbor turned it over and it won't move. I know nothing about reptiles.

Trusted Contributor

Yes get out there and flip it over.

Honored Contributor

There are a variety of reasons it might not moving. It could be dead, but it also could just be really dehydrated. If it's not obviously dead, I'd put it right side up in something with a very small amount of water. Not enough that it could drown but just enough to get it's feet wet. Like 1/4 inch of water. And then leave it alone for awhile. Without seeing it it's hard to say what's going on. I'm much more familiar with turtles than tortoises though. It still could be a turtle that someone released, that happens.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 9/14/2014 spud188 said:

Yes get out there and flip it over.

This is one of the most amusing posts I have ever read on this forum. Thank you. I'm not being facetious or snarky. I think it is really amusing.

(Of course we do want to save the turtle. Someone must turn it over.)