Super Contributor

The Joan Rivers Memories Collection

Ok here's my thoughts since it's being discussed about the future of Joan's collection now that she went to Heaven Smiley Sad QVC probably has a season or two of collections already done so if QVC decides to go forward until the new stuff is for sale I think it would be a good idea to either retire the entire line or continue it in a more tasteful way. Having the joan rivers line as it is will only make us miss her more not being there at least for me, but if they did a line in her honor and memory would be great such as her Bee line and her Do It Now line. Joan achieved the impossible and the Bee pins was how she started her line. I'm not saying every month Joan's collection do a gazillion bee items but maybe once a season. I would love to hear from other Joan Rangers and get thoughts and ideas and maybe QVC and Joan's estate will see our ideas and rethink or whatever they have in mind.
Honored Contributor

Re: The Joan Rivers Memories Collection

I think QVC should come out with a "Joan Rivers Remembrance" line only once -- and then retire the line. It would be miserable for someone else to represent her, IMHO, and the audience would probably feel uneasy and, in the end, a giant "meh" toward the rep. (I cannot picture Melissa wanting to do this, and this is not a critical statement, just a wild guess at her nature.)

The last bee offerings could be a patriotic one, for certain, and a couple others that, perhaps, could be voted on. Someone on another thread suggested a bee representing her favorite charity, God's Love We Deliver, and I suggested that the bee's body could show the organization's distinctive hand on heart. Just a thought. Another thoughtful QVC member suggested handing over the proceeds for that particular pin to the organization.

Those were worthwhile thoughts, in my book.

Just to be clear, only the money from the God's Love We Deliver pin would go to that charity.

[Just read second poster's comment about Jeanne's line continuing, so why not Joan's? That is a good point, and, I admit, I never thought of it. I am expressing what I feel, I guess, and my gut doesn't feel a continuation.]

Honored Contributor

I think everything depends on what Melissa wants to do.

After Joan's husband died, she was down and out and re-invented herself. Her QVC lines were an important part of her rise again to the top. She managed to get out of debt and create a wonderful life for her, Melissa and Cooper.

I'm sure Missy and Joan discussed what she would want to have happen after she passed.

If Jeanne's line can continue, why not Joan's?

Trusted Contributor

No offense meant, but I don't think David Dangle would be interesting to watch on a long-term basis. He doesn't have show biz stories, & I don't know how much input he had in the design of her jewelry, much was based on originals owned by Joan. He's a nice man & loved Joan, but I wouldn't watch it if he presented the jewelry. (And I never bought clothes, only scarves.)

Re: Quacker Factory - I am not an Angel fan (sweet lady, but not Jeanne) & don't think the clothes represent Jeanne Bice anymore. I liked the old QF fashions. I don't watch it now.

To sum up, there are no replacements for Joan & Jeanne in my humble opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

It goes without saying that Joan's QVC collection has been a phenomenal success on QVC. There is probably inventory in production and with what is already in stock to go forward for a couple of years. It stands to reason that a savvy businesswoman like Joan would have specific directions written in her will for Melissa to carry out.

I hope the line continues. When someone has built such an impressive legacy I like seeing it go forward long after they are gone. David Dangle is definitely capable of managing the design team and business operations for the brand as this has been his job for 20 years. He runs things day-to-day which allowed Joan to keep her entertainment schedule as full as it was.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/8/2014 KathyLFan said:

No offense meant, but I don't think David Dangle would be interesting to watch on a long-term basis. He doesn't have show biz stories, & I don't know how much input he had in the design of her jewelry, much was based on originals owned by Joan. He's a nice man & loved Joan, but I wouldn't watch it if he presented the jewelry. (And I never bought clothes, only scarves.)

Re: Quacker Factory - I am not an Angel fan (sweet lady, but not Jeanne) & don't think the clothes represent Jeanne Bice anymore. I liked the old QF fashions. I don't watch it now.

To sum up, there are no replacements for Joan & Jeanne in my humble opinion.

David actually has an extensive show biz history - google him!

Honored Contributor

Nothing against David, he might well have a good bit of history, but he isn't Joan and he's probably not compelling enough to watch to move this line forward. To accompany her on some shows or appear in her stead on occasion was one thing, but knowing Joan won't be back, well, I just don't personally think he will work as the sole vendor or figure head for this line. I'm not sure anyone will, but if the choice is made to continue it, I think they need to seriously look at other options.

As for the comparisons to Ms. Bice and Joan, we're talking apples and oranges. Jeanne clearly had a following, based primarily on her line. Joan had a following that reached far beyond her line and while a substitute might well work with QF, it's going to take someone pretty special, I think, to keep Joan's line front and center.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I have no insider information, but I am sure QVC and Joan's "people" have made arrangements for the line should Joan not be available. At her age - and with the amount of money involved - I would think that would have been a given.

Super Contributor

On 9/8/2014 terrier3 said:

I think everything depends on what Melissa wants to do.

After Joan's husband died, she was down and out and re-invented herself. Her QVC lines were an important part of her rise again to the top. She managed to get out of debt and create a wonderful life for her, Melissa and Cooper.

I'm sure Missy and Joan discussed what she would want to have happen after she passed.

If Jeanne's line can continue, why not Joan's?

Of course it's up to Melissa and Qvc but IMO Joan was her collection and it would be hard to watch it go on as usual without her. Her presence was so big that for me it would be hard to watch without her. That's why I thought maybe every four to six months they could do some Bee pins etc in her honor. I guess we'll see what happens in the future.
Regular Contributor

I just looked up the My favorite things bracelet Joan had put out. I wish I had seen it a long time ago. This would be an amazing bracelet to own for a Joan Rivers fan. It has so many things on it she adored. Darn! Maybe they will bring it back in her honor some how?

Those that own this are so lucky!