Trusted Contributor

TV Movie: The Joan & Melissa Rivers Story - 1994

I remember watching this TV movie back in 1994. I wonder if any network would be reairing it? It was touching and well done.

http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/134605/Tears-and-Laughter-The-Joan-and-Melissa-Rivers-Story/over...

Does anyone else remember this movie?

Respected Contributor

Re: TV Movie: The Joan & Melissa Rivers Story - 1994

Sorry for the double post. I'm not sure how that happened.

Respected Contributor

I definitely remember this movie. In fact, I just ordered the DVD from a seller on Ebay the other day. I had made a DVD copy of it from TV when it was on but I wanted the actual movie version of it to add to my movie collection.

You are so right in that it was so touching. Joan was such an incredible woman. She was one in a million. I think one of the reasons that we are all in shock was because, although Joan was up there in years, she appeared to be in relatively good health.

When other celebrities have passed away, many times, we knew they were sick and their time on this earth was limited. It was easier to accept their death when we knew it was coming. It seemed like less than two weeks ago I watched Joan and David on the Q. It's hard to believe that was the last time I would see her present her fashions. Over the years I have bought many of her products and I am so happy that I have them.

Joan brightened my day every time I watched her on TV.

I will miss the laughs.

Super Contributor

On 9/8/2014 J Town Girl said:

I definitely remember this movie. In fact, I just ordered the DVD from a seller on Ebay the other day. I had made a DVD copy of it from TV when it was on but I wanted the actual movie version of it to add to my movie collection.

You are so right in that it was so touching. Joan was such an incredible woman. She was one in a million. I think one of the reasons that we are all in shock was because, although Joan was up there in years, she appeared to be in relatively good health.

When other celebrities have passed away, many times, we knew they were sick and their time on this earth was limited. It was easier to accept their death when we knew it was coming. It seemed like less than two weeks ago I watched Joan and David on the Q. It's hard to believe that was the last time I would see her present her fashions. Over the years I have bought many of her products and I am so happy that I have them.

Joan brightened my day every time I watched her on TV.

I will miss the laughs.

I have to get a copy. I ordered many DVD-r movies from sellers and always been pleased with the quality.
Honored Contributor

I saw it many years ago and would love to see it again. What I remember most about it is what a great job they both did. Sure, they were playing themselves but it's still acting because of having to re-act stuff they already went through. Acting isn't easy!

I don't recall if it were a Lifetime movie, or a network movie, or what.

Super Contributor

Ebay has some and it's under a different title. I just put Laughter tears Joan Melissa and it's 14.95 for a DVD but as I said its a different title but still comes up in the search I put in
Respected Contributor

The version of this movie that I just bought arrived today and it is called ""Starting Again"". I believe when they had this movie on TV they changed the name to Tears and Laughter: The Joan and Melissa Rivers story.

Trusted Contributor

The E! channel should air it again. It is so timely and would be a nice tribute to Joan and all she endured and conquered. And you know how the networks love ratings and shows that would give them good ratings.

Super Contributor

It's on Amazon for 8.99 and it's been retitled Starting Again