Honored Contributor
I was must going through some old watches this morning when I ran across an OLD Wittnauer Men's gold filled watch with a rectangular face. Much to my surprise, it started right up when I wound it! The question- my favorite jeweler has told me he doesn't repair old watches because he can't get the correct replacement parts, so since it's running already, will he be able to adjust it? It is running much too fast, having gained about an hour and a half since I set it at 10 am. What do you think?
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Watch Lovers

I think you should take it to someone who specializes in watch repair.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

I don't know about your question but I had to comment about the watch. We bought my son one for HS graduation and he is now 35. It is still a gorgeous watch and works great. He didn't wear it everyday, but it it has never been worked on. It's a dress watch and was a little pricey back then but boy, the quality of that watch! They might could fix yours without needing parts.
Respected Contributor

violann: the answer to your question is... it depends. If he is willing to open up the watch and figure out what the problem is, he may be able to fix it without additional parts. Maybe it just needs cleaning and lubrication. Or maybe something needs to be replaced. I'm guessing it's a mechanical or automatic watch, not a quartz/battery watch. The jewelry might charge to you figure out what the problem is, even if he can't fix it. Or he may not even be willing to try.

Respected Contributor

I will add that many places will charge as much as $400 to clean and service an automatic watch. I don't know what someone would charge to clean and service a quartz watch.

There are watchmakers who specialize in servicing vintage watches also. I don't know if the Watch Hospital in Rhode Island is still in business. That was one place that I knew. The other place you could try is Tourneau, because I think they service Wittnauer. They would probably send it out, but they are quite reputable. They specialize only in watches and if you're not close to one, find the one closest to you and call them. They would look at it and provide an estimate.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Tique said:

I think you should take it to someone who specializes in watch repair.

Exactly what I was thinking. Someone who knows what they're doing and has

done it for years.

Honored Contributor

Find a clock/watch repair store. I found one locally and they're great.