Super Contributor

Question about turquoise treatment

I did a search for an answer and got a lot of unrelated results so I thought I would simply ask. Is the sleeping beauty turquoise treated? I know it isn't composite but is it stabilized or color enhanced. TIA.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about turquoise treatment

I don't know if this helps, but I found the info on the "About Turquoise" tab included with item J295875 a sleeping beauty ring. I imagine it is also included with other turquoise items.

"While Turquoise is naturally beautiful, it tends to be porous and sometimes brittle. Most Turquoise is treated by one of three methods to enhance durability and allow for a better polish:

Impregnated with colorless resin or plastic

Proprietary Zachery Method

Luster Enhancement

Questions you might have regarding Turquoise:

Is turquoise jewelry sold on QVC genuine and natural?

Yes, it is.

Does QVC accept composite, reconstituted or reconstructed turquoise?

QVC does not currently accept composite, reconstituted, or reconstructed turquoise.

Is turquoise in the jewelry sold on QVC color treated?

Dye and other coloring agents are not acceptable as treatments.

Is the turquoise sold in QVC's jewelry brittle?

While some Turquoise is naturally beautiful, it tends to be porous and sometimes brittle. The QVC approved treatments enhances durability and allows for a better polish.

What are the treatments that QVC accepts?

QVC accepts only the following stable treatments:

Impregnated with colorless resin or plastic

Proprietary Zachery Method

Luster Enhancement

Why is the Sleeping Beauty Turquoise almost free of matrix or markings in the stone?

For Sleeping Beauty Turquoise, we closely monitor the range of blue color and the level of mottling, matrix and markings we will accept. Sleeping Beauty Turquoise can have all of these markings in the stone, but QVC currently accepts only Sleeping Beauty Turquoise that is free of markings."

Super Contributor

Carolyn Pollack's SB and all of her turquoise (and I believe 95% of turquoise sold anywhere) is stabilized, and not dyed.

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Honored Contributor

All the turquoise sold on TV shopping channels is stabilized. Some of it is reconstituted or made of "block" which is scraps bonded together, cut and polished. I believe Carolyn's product is just stabilized.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What does 'stablized' mean

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Lucky charm said:

What does 'stablized' mean

Read the description above by Scotnovel.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 3/14/2015 melfie said:

I did a search for an answer and got a lot of unrelated results so I thought I would simply ask. Is the sleeping beauty turquoise treated? I know it isn't composite but is it stabilized or color enhanced. TIA.

Read this link, it helped me understand the treatment methods used for turquoise sold on shopping networks.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the info. So most turquoise is treated. Does this mean untreated SBT is worth more?

Respected Contributor

Untreated turquoise is worth more to me. But I never buy anything with reselling in mind.
Honored Contributor

You will know if turquoise is untreated because if you wear it next to you skin it will pick up body oils and get dull and dirty looking and then how do you clean it without damaging it. Also, it's very brittle and will start to crumble after a while. I would rather put my money into something I can wear and will last. I have a turquoise necklace I inherited and some of the stones are crumbling so I guess the stones are not stabilized.