Super Contributor

I have a dilemma. On another forum, I wrote about not being able to wear my lovely grandmother's diamond ring she gave me on my right ring finger because of some arthritis in my knuckle. It used to fit, but won't now. The ring is too small for any other finger on my right hand.

However, it does fit nicely on my left ring finger, but I'm single. I can't afford right now to have it resized to fit the right hand.

It does look like a wedding ring and, wearing it on the left hand, it looks like I'm married. I just don't want to have to keep it in a drawer and never wear it. Is there anything wrong with wearing it on the left hand? I know my luck would have it that some great guy would see me and be interested and see the ring and move on. But, I'm not out there looking for single men all the time and am not wearing it daily. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I know there isn't any "law" about where one can wear a ring, but it's so ingrained in our society that the left ring finger is for married people.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
I'm married and wear whatever ring I want on my left hand, as I too have some rings that only fit my left hand. I figure I have too many pretty rings to never wear them. Life is too short to not evjoy what you have! You can't take it with you!
Esteemed Contributor
Is it a band or a solitaire? Can you stack it so it looks less conventional? I used to wear a gorgeous malachite on my left ring finger - then I got married and insisted on a thin band (wasn't that important, the ring thing). If they are interested they will let you know, ring or not. And your return attention (or perhaps you make the first move) says more than any ring. Do what floats your boat. Life should be sweet and it is short. (I always wear my wedding band out of respect for my husband - but I do wear others with it, on the outside).
Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor
On 3/10/2015 willomenia said: I'm married and wear whatever ring I want on my left hand, as I too have some rings that only fit my left hand. I figure I have too many pretty rings to never wear them. Life is too short to not evjoy what you have! You can't take it with you!

willomenia, that is what I was thinking! I mean, I've lived 50 years now and am still single, so why worry!

I hate that it doesn't fit on the right hand anymore, but at least I can still wear it!

Thanks for the response!

Super Contributor
Please, please wear it and enjoy it in good health. One day if you can afford to do so and want to at that time, have it resized for your right hand. But in the meantime, please wear it proudly and know your grandmother would be so pleased to know you are enjoying it and thinking of her. Would be a shame to leave it in a drawer -- life is too short to not enjoy. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Super Contributor
On 3/10/2015 Sweetbay magnolia said: Is it a band or a solitaire? Can you stack it so it looks less conventional? I used to wear a gorgeous malachite on my left ring finger - then I got married and insisted on a thin band (wasn't that important, the ring thing). If they are interested they will let you know, ring or not. And your return attention (or perhaps you make the first move) says more than any ring. Do what floats your boat. Life should be sweet and it is short.

It is solitaire sitting on a square layer, bordered by some baguettes. It's a very vintage looking style, platinum. Can't stack with it, though.

I'm going to have to wear all the size 7 rings I have on my wedding ring finger, so why not a diamond!!

Super Contributor
On 3/10/2015 nycgirl79 said: Please, please wear it and enjoy it in good health. One day if you can afford to do so and want to at that time, have it resized for your right hand. But in the meantime, please wear it proudly and know your grandmother would be so pleased to know you are enjoying it and thinking of her. Would be a shame to leave it in a drawer -- life is too short to not enjoy. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Thanks nycgirl79. I appreciate your comment. I love looking at it and remembering her and thinking of its history in her life, too.

Appreciate your kind words. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

If it fits, u should wear it.

Esteemed Contributor

Wear it! Enjoy it!

A lot of men aren't that observant anyway. Wink

And either way, there are no hard & fast rules. If it would give you pleasure to wear it, then I say go ahead & do it. A grandmother's ring is very special. Wear it in good health!

Valued Contributor
I wear my grandmother's ring on my left hand. I could also wear it on my right, but it feels comfortable on my left. I had the shank fixed and resized by my jeweler; when it came to me, it was badly bent. The ring kept rolling/rotating, so he later added beads ("speed bumps") and adjusted them for comfort to stop the rolling. He did the same thing for another ring of mine, and my mother's engagement ring.