Super Contributor

Please Explain Ring Under Galleries

All the hosts rave about the under gallery of a ring. What purpose do they serve, other than increasing the price and blocking light? My older DMQ rings without the extra metal sparkle much nicer. I don't need a pretty design which no one will see and I just don't get the benefit.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please Explain Ring Under Galleries

Comfort....

If you wear one with a ridge on either side of the back side of the shank, they can be uncomfortable and some can cut the finger.

Trusted Contributor

Also sizing/fit. If there is no gallery, you can actually wear the ring on different fingers because it leaves more room underneath. So the ring may move from side to side on the finger you ordered it for rather than staying in place.

Super Contributor

Design, comfort and sizing. An under gallery totally makes a ring look more finished design wise. More eye appeal. The comfort level is better in that the ring is smooth since there would be no edges underneath. Sizing would be more accurate. Those with bigger knuckles would prefer rings without under galleries since they would allow for an easier putting on and taking off. Those without this issue would find a ring with an open under gallery slightly looser, whereas the under gallery would allow for a more exact fit.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

Comfort....

If you wear one with a ridge on either side of the back side of the shank, they can be uncomfortable and some can cut the finger.

I agree. I don't like dents on my fingers, lol. I would never purchase a ring again without an under gallery. That's another reason why I stick with Judith's rings and Micheal V's rings from Evine Live.

Esteemed Contributor

They're designed primarily to keep a ring anchored on your finger, to prevent it from twisting side to side -- especially with rings that sit up high off your hand, like larger solitaires.

If a ring is designed properly, undergallery or not, it should not cut into a finger. Frankly, a lot of mine with undergalleries ruin the fit and the ability to clean a stone.

Remember Ann King? She's the only Q designer that truly mastered fit, in my opinion. She employed a technique the Q used to use on its diamonique rings called "silk fit." Those rings glide on and off like a whisper, no matter how chunky.

Honored Contributor

I loved the silk fit rings... Wish the did more of them... Also wish they'd kept the Ann King around.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I have never found a ring without an under gallery to be uncomfortable, I guess it just depends on one's fingers. I do prefer more light, though, I want my jewelry to sparkle!

Trusted Contributor

I miss Ann King, too. Her designs were delightful.