Respected Contributor

Jewelry ladies, please help! Are 6 mm pearl earrings too small?

I found a set of three 6 mm pearl earrings on sale at 66% off. They look very nice, but I'm not sure whether the size is too small for an adult. I wanted to give them as a gift to my sister. Could you give me some idea about how wearable these would be?

Super Contributor

Re: Jewelry ladies, please help! Are 6 mm pearl earrings too small?

Honored Contributor

6mm was once considered a standard size pearl for a pearl stud.

Like everything else, even pearls have been supersized. It's now considered fairly delicate.

Sorry, in my first post I mentioned a strand of pearls and not a stud earring.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, kathoderay and lulu! They look very small next to the quarter but a decent size in the model's ear. I don't know a lot about jewelry, and this is for a person who's short. I prefer to get things that are marked down because then I am getting better quality for my money. The reviews were good and no one said they were too small, but I'm still unsure. I personally think 8 mm look best for earrings for me anyway, but I'm taller than her. Maybe I should get her skin care instead.

Super Contributor

6MM are a perfect try-me size for pearls, especially if she doesn't own any pearl stud earrings. She can, or you can, always get her a larger size in the future if she loves them.

Respected Contributor

On my screen, the pearls above are 2-3 mm smaller than their measurements say.

My pearl strand is 5mm and I love them. Also have matching earrings that are small but nice. I got these when the trend was for smaller stud earrings. Styles now seem to favor larger, bulkier fashion jewelry however, a classic strand of pearls and matching stud earrings are timeless. JMHO

Honored Contributor

I have pearls in several sizes; I wear my smallest when I just want a pearl in my ear but the focus to go to a necklace. When I want real earring presence, I like 8 and up.

If it helps - I'm short but not XS and always have short hair.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, ladies. She has some nice jewelry from her husband, including a pearl necklace and a lovely emerald and diamond ring for starters. However, I thought these would be good for casual wear to work or just kicking around. I liked this set because the original price and the reviews indicated it might be better quality than some I've seen elsewhere on the 'Net. I got her a set of four colored pearl earrings for her birthday a few years ago and she seemed to like them. She wore them.

HSN 297-176

Super Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Ms X said:

Thanks, ladies. She has some nice jewelry from her husband, including a pearl necklace and a lovely emerald and diamond ring for starters. However, I thought these would be good for casual wear to work or just kicking around. I liked this set because the original price and the reviews indicated it might be better quality than some I've seen elsewhere on the 'Net. I got her a set of four colored pearl earrings for her birthday a few years ago and she seemed to like them. She wore them.

HSN 297-176

Those are man-made pearls.

Respected Contributor

On 2/7/2015 kathoderay said:
On 2/7/2015 Ms X said:

HSN 297-176

Those are man-made pearls.

Yes, I know that. Is that bad? I really don't know anything about pearls. Aren't they something like cultured pearls that are so common?