Not applicable

Herkimer's are only clear quartz and are NOT rare.

Herkimer "diamonds" are ordinary clear quartz but it's a fully formed crystal rather than a partially formed crystal and/or a broken crystal. HSN is pushing them at unbelievable prices. Some of my family are from the area in NY where they are mined. There are hundreds of thousands of these quartz crystals scattered on the ground, yours for the picking. I don't care how HSN describes the stones, I played with them when I was a kid, and so did every kid from multiple generations who lived in or visited that area. If you want some nice quartz, get yourself an amethyst - they are worth WAY more money.
Contributor

Re: Herkimer's are only clear quartz and are NOT rare.

I live in Herkimer. The "diamonds" used to be easy to find and inexpensive to buy. Now, most of them are sold in the Orient. The jewelry that is sold at the mine or at their shop here in town, called Gems Along the Mohawk, is all quite expensive. I have a cage pendant from many years ago that probably cost $10. There is nothing like that available any longer. Times have changed a lot!
Honored Contributor

I bought the herk hoop earrings last ""special""........and the sparkle is spectacular!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the warning.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Desertdi said:

I bought the herk hoop earrings last ""special""........and the sparkle is spectacular!

I didn't get the last ones but purchased the first earrings that were a TS. They have sat in my armoire for a couple of years. Last week I changed from my traditional yellow gold to white. I was getting ready to put on WG earrings but instead reached for the Herks which have SS findings. I was complimented at least five times on my beautiful earrings. Sparkle...they do.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

My first husband bought me a necklace from there once when he went there on a business trip. That was well over 36 years ago and it is still a very pretty piece of jewelry, and I have always worn it a lot. So I can say it appears to be decent quality and very pretty and it does sparkle in different colors, and stands the test of time.

Honored Contributor

I'm with the OP. I hear Colleen on HSN go on and on about these things. I just like hearing her pronounce the word over and over.

They are glass and you can't tell the difference between the plastic replicas.

Good grief!

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 annabellethecat said:

I'm with the OP. I hear Colleen on HSN go on and on about these things. I just like hearing her pronounce the word over and over.

They are glass and you can't tell the difference between the plastic replicas.

Good grief!

No they aren't glass - they are crystal quartz. Quartz is a natural material - the crystals grow in the ground - apparently in great abundance. They do have a prism effect much like a diamond and so they do reflect light. They are often the stone that is used on the top of a doublet - for instance a turquoise doublet has a thin layer of turquoise with a crystal quartz layer over it to make it appear faceted. Also , some better watches have an actual crystal quartz over the face - while less expensive watches have glass. That is why that area of a watch is called the crystal.

Trusted Contributor

MALC ~ We are neighbors!!

Love Gems Along the Mohawk, actually often pick up Fly Creek goodies there ~ dined last Saturday evening at the Waterfront!

Respected Contributor

I don't care what they are all I care about is that they are pretty and sparkle!! I have the necklace and bracelet and I love them!! I layer them up with diamonds and they look amazing. Part of the price you are paying for from HSN is the designer name and the work it takes to set them.