Honored Contributor

With the talk about Ripka... anyone know about Michael Dawkins?

Actually was my favorite designer on the Q, bought a lot from him, but I have to say that I've had problems with some of his designs. The watch I bought (supposedly stainless steel... started peeling under the strap (a coating of stainless maybe?) and turned my wrist a dark gray.... I've had the silver connectors to his beads on the granulated silver bracelet "unroll" at several spots. Just very disappointing considering the price. But I've still missed his shows, and still love his designs....

Haven't seen him for awhile, a lot of his items are on clearance... anyone know what's happening?

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: With the talk about Ripka... anyone know about Michael Dawkins?

bump?

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the bump.... was just curious if he's out of the jewelry game as well...

Just went hunting for info and can only find MichaelHome (Home Designs) on line.

Came across this old thread from here stating that his store on Madison Avenue was closed as of Feb 2011.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/jewelry-talk/topic/160414/michael-dawkins-ny-showroom-out-of-busines...

And I get the sinking feeling that his items here on the Q are being sold off. I hope not. I hope he continues to showcase his jewelry on the Q....

Honored Contributor

Seems to me he closed his NY jewelry store and has gone into home furnishings. Well before her departure, Lisa posted a picture of the two of them in front of his new home decor store... My guess is his jewelry line is a thing of the past, but really don't know.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't think he had enough variety in his designs to sustain his line.

Trusted Contributor

On silver designer day on February 1 there will be a one hour Michael Dawkins show from 10am to 11am eastern.
Valued Contributor

He has 2 shows coming up in January--I think it is Jan 22.

Honored Contributor

I'll be surprised if his shows aren't pretty much clearing out older things... Hopefully he'll offer a few new pieces, but I'm somehow now thinking there will be much that's new and yes, I agree, although there were outstanding pieces, his line seemed to lack volume and variety.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I love his jewelry however I got one bracelet, that wasn't inexpensive, and it fell apart. Others had the same problem with that bracelet. It was built with coils instead of links. So, I think before I buy his items. If there is anything unusual in the construction I won't buy it. Otherwise I am all for his work!

Honored Contributor

YES.... the coils unravel, I had the same problem with a piece I bought!! As much as I love his designs (I really do, please don't get me wrong).... he used a lot of jeweler's metal in some of his pieces and I was hoping that the manufacturing techniques might have changed. (Or are going to change but it sounds like that won't be happening)....

Regardless, I'm looking forward to his shows coming up (thanks for the info) ....