Respected Contributor

Anyone know a good source for jewelry hallmark info?

I got a pink sapphire and white gold bracelet as an estate piece from my local jeweler and would like to find out info on the company that made it. Can't seem to find anything online when I type a description of the hallmark. It's not letters but a diamond shape with 5 sides, as if you're looking at a diamond from the side, and inside the diamond shape there's a P and another letter below it that I can't make out even when using a loupe.

Anyone know of a publication or website that can help? Thanks.

-Kalli

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone know a good source for jewelry hallmark info?

I have a big, expensive book on Native American hallmarks but that probably won't help. I'm sure such books are available though that would suit your needs. Check Amazon.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If you do ebay head on over to their Community, Discussion Boards and go to collectibles and art and if you post a pic or just ask a question someone there is sure to help you out. Lots of experts there that LOVE to show off their knowledge. I've had many a strange hallmark on jewelry or pottery and I always get an answer there.

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 silkyk said:

If you do ebay head on over to their Community, Discussion Boards and go to collectibles and art and if you post a pic or just ask a question someone there is sure to help you out. Lots of experts there that LOVE to show off their knowledge. I've had many a strange hallmark on jewelry or pottery and I always get an answer there.

How do you get to ebay's Community Discussion Boards? I just checked and couldn't figure it out. I sell on eBay and might like to go there sometime. Thanks.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Super Contributor

The only manufactures hallmark with a diamond profile that comes to mind, has an F stamped inside the diamond outline. That said, jewelry reference books are really expensive, particularly hallmark books, and there's a limited few published on fine jewelry manufactures.
If you're only going to research one item, I'd check the public library first or an antiques shop that deals in jewelry. The jeweler you purchased the piece from had no further information?

ETA: This is a photo of the hallmark I was referring too. I'm surprised how quickly I found an image of it!

Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 NickNack said:

How do you get to ebay's Community Discussion Boards? I just checked and couldn't figure it out. I sell on eBay and might like to go there sometime. Thanks.

It is kind of hard to find but just go to the ebay home page and then along the top on the right you'll see help and contact. Go there then scroll down to the very bottom of the page and community is on the bottom left. Then go to discussion boards and then "collectibles and art". Nice people with lots of info to share.

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 NickNack said:

It is kind of hard to find but just go to the ebay home page and then along the top on the right you'll see help and contact. Go there then scroll down to the very bottom of the page and community is on the bottom left. Then go to discussion boards and then "collectibles and art". Nice people with lots of info to share.

Thank you very much!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read the replies, but would suggest you visit PBS' site relevant to "The Antiques Roadshow." They boast of having resources for viewers, so you might very well find something there.

If not, then I'd check with the "Antiques Roadshow" production by the BBC.

Good luck!

Contributor

http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksp.html

A lot of eBayers and vintage collectors use this website.

I found this -- ""P" inside a diamond shape (long side to side) with "Trade" and "Mark" on either side, and "Diamond" above and "Finish" below X-Ls-ALL - see Providence Stock Company"