Honored Contributor

I love David Yurman bangles but....

Saving for a trip to Hawaii next year. I love the look of two-tone and I'm traveling to the Caribbean next week where I know I'm going to have to add to my collection at least 1 bangle & a John Hardy piece. This sounds crazy but flicking channels Hsn has a today's special which resembles their bangles. I've not bought jewelry from them -- is it a good knock off or just keep saving up! (I rarely get dressed up pretty casual lifestyle & sometimes costume jewelry looks like the real thing). I have a Joan Rivers cable bangle bracelet watch which I wear daily and just love it to mix match with my Yurman pieces do you know of this brand Emma Skyes?
Trusted Contributor

Re: I love David Yurman bangles but....

I bought an Emma Sykes TS on HSN once. It was a necklace and bracelet set. I thought it was the cheapest looking thing I ever bought on any home shopping station. It was as light as a feather and just looked like real bad costume jewelry.

Trust me, the piece they are showing on tonight is not going to be up to David Yurman quality or look when you get it.

Not telling you what to do, just sharing my bad experience with that jewelry line.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 DARING GREATLY said:

I bought an Emma Sykes TS on HSN once. It was a necklace and bracelet set. I thought it was the cheapest looking thing I ever bought on any home shopping station. It was as light as a feather and just looked like real bad costume jewelry.

Trust me, the piece they are showing on tonight is not going to be up to David Yurman quality or look when you get it.

Not telling you what to do, just sharing my bad experience with that jewelry line.

Thank you so much I'm hitting the cancel button as I type this I should have known better,,,,,oh those impulse buys!! I'll just buy the one I want this trip and the earrings then I'll have them a lifetime! Thank you so much!!!
Trusted Contributor

Also, I'm watching the presentation now. When she puts all the bangles on her wrist, you don't even hear the normal sound that bangles make. There is no sound, no "clinking" sound. That makes me think they are light as air and have no weight at all.

I think you'll be so much happier with the real thing.

Super Contributor

And Homedecor... Since you already have his pieces and know it's the real thing, I don't think you will enjoy the hsn bangles as much as one Y piece. Sure buy costume when you want to wear it, but it's been my experience I can't replace fine jewelry with costume because I don't seem to ever like it as much. Have a great trip and you're right....you will have the good stuff for a lifetime! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

I remember the 'lightweight' comments about Emma Skye's prior necklace & bracelet ts- but cable style bracelets really don't make the same noise that other bangles make. For $50 for 5 bracelets I decided to give them a try. I bought all stainless, I wasn't sure about their gold plating (the color, if it would hold up, etc).

Super Contributor

Sticking with plain stainless color is the safer bet. The reviews on Emma Skye two tone is not good. The gold color does wear off and the remaining color you are left with is not good. Also beware of crystals since they are glued on and you will be left with empty spots. It costs more money to use prongs.

Valued Contributor

I have my eye on a David Yurman cable necklace which would be my first purchase from his line.

Looking to purchase in the more near future some Scott Kay. Have one of his long 36" necklaces that I obtained last year and it is quality thru and thru....weighty and without a flaw in design.

Since his passing, I am sure others will be looking for more of his work. Such a talent gone to soon.

Valued Contributor

I have to respectfully disagree with the person who said they were cheap--I have several pieces that well made and very similar to DY. For the price, I say give it a chance--if you don't like them, you can send them back! I don't think you will, though!

Honored Contributor

No idea about the HSN line, but I do know there are excellent DY knock-offs. I've had a chain for some years that is so close to the actual DY chain I have that I'd never know the difference if I lost the DY dangle. None of my friends know that they slide on that chain isn't original either. Paid about $20 for each piece maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Paid over $300 for the original chain and more for its pendant (silver, 18K, and really deep peridot.)

I also have a knockoff of a DY ring - no one who know anything about DY would think it's real. The price was right for me - free. (I wear it occasionally, mostly because it's the only ring I own that fits my pointer finger.)