Contributor

Moissanite...A weird thing happened

My mom passed away in 2007 and left a nice Moissanite ring to my aunt. I know it was expensive, it was thick 14K gold. Well anyway, my aunt told me the stones have turned yellow. She took it to a jeweler and he said he can coat it w/something for $75. I just think that's weird that it "turned." Moissanite is so expensive. She has the paperwork for the ring so I told her she should have contacted Charles and Colvard...but I think she has already turned the ring into the jeweler. Any comments?

Super Contributor

Re: Moissanite...A weird thing happened

I don't own Moissanite, but I have read that it can turn yellow.

Respected Contributor

Larger stones have a yellow tinge. Is she going to replace it. They now sell forever brilliant moissanite which is a whiter gem.
Honored Contributor

There are apparently different grades of Moissenite and some have a yellowish tinge. They don't "turn" yellow; they're manufactured that way. I never heard of a coating that would correct this. If there were such a thing, you'd think the manufacturer would have used it from the onset. I'd be suspicious.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have tons of moissanite, some cheap and some very expensive. None of it is or has turned yellow or green at all. Moissanite color doesn't change once it's cut. Go to another jeweler.

Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I have tons of moissanite, some cheap and some very expensive. None of it is or has turned yellow or green at all. Moissanite color doesn't change once it's cut. Go to another jeweler.

Same here. Something doesn't sound right.

Well, I don't have a lot but I do have some stones that I set, many years ago, in 14k gold stud findings. They aren't all that large - btwn 5 & 6mm - but they are as brilliant as the day I received them and have never had a yellow tinge to them.

Honored Contributor

I've seen Moissanite show yellow or green when it was brand new, one of the reasons I never bought any. I never heard of it turning, but I doubt I would have. I don't have any family/friends who own any.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm new to Moissanite, but love my anniversary band -- 5 stones representing our family members. I understand from my research the stones don't turn, they are created clear or with a tint. I think I'd have the jewelry appraised after the jeweler works with the ring to make sure the Moissanite stones weren't replaced with glass, etc.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Moissanite is a cheap synthetic stone, no different than cz. It cost a few pennies to make. But the marketing of Moissanite is nothing short of amazing. They have always done an amazing of job of pretending that it's a rare, precious stone and women fall for it. Absolutely amazing. I know a couple of women who wear it as their engagment rings, I've never heard that it turned yellow or discolored. However, the two stones I have seen with my own eyes, do have a slight yellowish "cast" to them. They are big stones; bright and sparkly but not white like a flawless diamond.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/23/2014 Chrystaltree said:

Moissanite is a cheap synthetic stone, no different than cz. It cost a few pennies to make. But the marketing of Moissanite is nothing short of amazing. They have always done an amazing of job of pretending that it's a rare, precious stone and women fall for it. Absolutely amazing. I know a couple of women who wear it as their engagment rings, I've never heard that it turned yellow or discolored. However, the two stones I have seen with my own eyes, do have a slight yellowish "cast" to them. They are big stones; bright and sparkly but not white like a flawless diamond.

Always a ray of sunshine....

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau