Respected Contributor

Allergic Reaction to Sterling Silver

In the last few months I've noticed that my earlobes are irritated after wearing my sterling silver hoops. I sanitized them thinking that perhaps they had buildup of oils, but it hasn't helped.

I love wearing hoops and am seriously considering Steel by Design hoops.

Has anyone worn SBD earrings and got an allergic reaction?

The bigger question is why after decades of wearing sterling silver would I just now start with the swelling and irritation? BTW, I do apply alcohol and sometime hydrogen peroxide to the stems - never at the same time.

Please give me your experience with SBD jewelry.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Allergic Reaction to Sterling Silver

Anyone???

Regular Contributor

I am allergic to sterling silver too and I love SBD....no problems with their earrings.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Lillyrose. What have I got to lose, right?

Regular Contributor

Forgot to mention that I have good luck with Lia Sophia earrings too - they are made from surgical steel.

Regular Contributor

Nothing to lose at all, the prices are nice for SBD and you can return it if you need to.

SBD is a little bit heavier in weight but not a problem for me, and the color is darker than the whiteness of sterling silver.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

It's the nickle that is used when making sterling silver that's usually the culprit. I'm allergic too. I've since switched to titanium and surgical steel. I find a much better selection by shopping at body jewelry suppliers like Body Art Forms. I've been wearing neometal threadless surgical steel studs ( they have CZ and gemstones) 24/7 in my ears for about 5 years now without any problems.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

You might like the Ultra Fine line of sterling silver jewelry that QVC sells. They have a few pairs of earrings on sale, last time I checked. I cannot wear anything with nickle in it and find these are quite attractive in addition to being pure silver.

Honored Contributor

It's usually the nickel in the silver that causes the allergic reaction, and there's no way of telling how much is present in any piece. I wear silver every day, have tons of it and normally have no problem. However I have an expensive Michael Dawkins necklace that drives me crazy. After a day of wear I have a red necklace on my skin where the necklace laid. I'll never buy from him again.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Once you start reacting to nickel, there's really nothing you can do but avoid it, particularly for earrings. There are some premium sterling silver lines that use sterling silver without nickel, or use a higher level of silver like Ultrafine. You need to stay away from white gold as well because it has nickel in it as well. Steel by Design should work great for you.

It may have been that you had a slight irritation or left the same pair of earrings in too long and that started the reaction.

You might be able to wear earwires longer than posts because they are generally thinner and air can get to your piercing easier. But if you want to continue to wear a pair of SS earrings that you really love, coat the post or earwire with clear nail polish. That will keep the metal from touching your skin. It will last maybe 2 wearings, then you need to recoat.