Super Contributor

Finally a Message From ME2ME

I want to apologize to all my Ripkanista friends for putting you all on hold for so long. I have had a rough patch of illnesses that I wasn't quite sure how to share with all of you...

As some of you know I am a breast cancer survivor. In 2010, I did what I thought I had to do to survive. Chemotherapy, bilateral mastectomy, implants, and radiation. At the end of that year I had to have my implants removed due to a staph infection, but I made it through.

This summer, I had some days were I wasn't feeling quite myself. I went to my primary doctor...who was concerned about the mass I had on my sternum. I felt pressure on my chest and had been having a hard time sleeping. The only sleep I could get was laying on one of our recliners. I went two my oncologist within a couple of weeks and she did the usual blood testing to determine if my cancer had come back....she said I was cancer free.

Another few weeks went by and I was doing laundry. I noticed that I felt winded when I went to unload my dryer. I then believed I could have bronchitis and went to my primary doctor again. She did an EKG on me and order for me to have a CT scan that very day. Nothing was found other than my heart rate was a little elevated.

Within a few days I asked my DH to take me to the ER. I knew something was wrong, but even after blood work, another chest x-ray, and a overnight stay....they found nothing. They sent me home thinking I was a crazy lady with stress! Yeah! I had stress I wasn't getting any sleep.

Finally, my DH has had enough and he calls all my doctors and tells them this thing on my chest is getting larger and my wife can hardly breathe.....I was finally sent for all types of testing....MRI...and a biopsy.

My biopsy results were given to me on Halloween.....The mass on my sternum is a newer type of breast cancer for me, HER. It is completely different from the other cancer I had and that is why it didn't show in my blood work. Breast cancer HER is treatable, but not curable. I will be taking a chemo pill Veladox? and be giving radiation soon. I also have a small mass on my chest with 5 lymph nodes that are infected.....

That day that I am getting this wonderful news.....Thank God my Dad had come down from Ohio to visit......cause that was a rough day! My oncologist noticed that my feet were swelling. I had edema. The next day my feet and legs started swelling and then I noticed that Sunday....nothing was fitting me! My torso down had edema! My DH rushed me to the ER again!

All these months everyone including myself thought it was the mass pressing from my sternum to my heart and it wasn't! To make a long story short. I spent nine days in the hospital for congestive heart failure! I am 48 years old and I have never smoked. I am not overweight.....My cardiologist even did a heart catheter on me.......my arteries are clear and very healthy. The problem is a virus recently moved in my body and attacked my heart and now my heart is pumping at 15-20%. They have no idea how this has happened to me? I am home now on a Life Vest and I can only drink 1 and 1/2 liters of liquid a day and my sodium in take is less than 2,000 mg. My cardiologist tells me that if my heart doesn't get better on it's own within a few months.....he will have to install a fibulator in my chest.

I also have to wait for my heart to get a little better before I start my cancer treatment. Waiting to hear from them today. I still have to get a PETSCAN and a bone CT.

I feel numb and scared. I look around and I am not quite sure what to do? I have four beautiful sons that I have to fight for, including my DH.

I just want all of you ladies to know this. If you feel there is something wrong with you....Don't you let the doctors do a few tests and send you away. You know your body better than they do. Get complete blood work done.

I'm going to look through Ripka now. I think I need a little something new to brighten my week.

Much Love, Christine

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally a Message From ME2ME

Good Lord -- I'm amazed at your resilience to even be able to post to us! Prayers are being sent up for you immediately and for as long as you need -- and longer. We've missed you terribly here and it's good to hear from you.

We are going through some cardiac issues with DH; it's a similar experience -- we have to push everyone at every step of the way to get to the bottom of it.

I think you deserve several Ripka "pity gems" to boost your spirits, ASAP! That's an official prescription!

Your courage under fire is more than commendable -- and please know that we here are with you during this fight. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Regular Contributor

Christine, you have been thru so much....I am so glad they finally figured out what the issues was so you can begin getting the treatment relief you need....finally!!! Thoughts, prayers and hugs are coming your way!!!!!!

judy

Trusted Contributor

Dear Christine, I am sorry to hear that life has thrown you such a curveball. You were wise indeed to listen to your body. Please know that you will be in my prayers and that hugs and warm wishes are coming your way. I think I'll throw in a little pixie dust for good measure. Please know that we are all pulling with you during your fight.
Trusted Contributor

Me2me I am so sorry to read about your health problems. Sending you positive, healing energy. I do not post on ripka as much as I use to, but have missed seeing your postings. Wishing you improved health very soon.
Contributor

For what it's worth, my friend's 35-year-old son-in-law had the same heart diagnosis. His heart improved on its own, and he now is driving, taking classes, working out (with limitations) and traveling to Spain! Continue being your own best diagnostician, and don't hesitate to invoke the drs when something feels off to you.

With best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Super Contributor

You hang in there!!!!! You have a lot to fight for and your spirit at this horrible time is amazingly strong. I was happy to read debsgirl's post. You can beat this!

Lots of love,

BGDC Kiss

Super Contributor

Sending you a big hug and the best of wishes!!!
Respected Contributor

Me2Me, thank you for sharing such a heartfelt, kind post with us. We all need to be very aware of what is going on with our bodies as we age. I am so glad that you are finally getting the proper help you need. It all starts with a proper diagnosis, but in your case it is multiple diagnoses. I am sorry you are going through so many things at once.

I want to recommend a book for you called The China Study. This book is one of the reasons that former President Bill Clinton became a vegetarian. It is about how a primarily vegan diet can shrink cancer tumors in laboratory animals, and how it can help the heart as well. I have recently been reading about the benefits of different plant flavonoids (anti-oxidant plant pigments that also act as antioxidants) recently, and I can tell you that some of them have very strong antiviral properties-- like quercetin, in particular (found in abundance in asparagus, buckwheat, parsley, celery, dill, green peppers, red cabbage, olive leaves, watercress, red onions, black tea, raw spinach, etc.) Here is something from our USDA with a listing of flavonoids in fruits and vegetables.

What I really wanted to say, however, is please don't give up hope that you will conquer all of your diagnoses, and thrive in spite of them. I will add you to my prayer list, which, sadly, keeps growing longer every day.

xoxox

Honored Contributor

Me2Me, I own no Ripka however I have followed the enthusiastic threads of the Ripkanistas whenever Judith visits.

Your post moved me and I wanted to tell you that I know someone (a husband of a co-worker) who recovered fully from a virus/infection that also settled around and in his heart.

I am sorry that you are going through all of these health issues - when it rains it pours sometimes.

Since I know you like sparkly and pretty jewelry, here's a bouquet of jeweled flowers that comes with well wishes and prayers for a full recovery.

Respectfully - Birdmama
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise