Valued Contributor

Missing the glamorous costume jewelry shows!

Just ran across a KJL bracelet in the Project Runway listings and made me sad. Remember the great old days when the QVC program guide routinely would list shows with Nolan Miller, Kenneth Jay Lane, of course Joan Rivers, and I know there were many others who for whatever reasons, most of them quite unfortunate, have gone by the wayside. We need to get these types of shows back!! Now all we have in the way of designer shows are those with so-called precious metals and very high-end and expensive. Please get us excietd again, QVC, by bringing more jewelry along the lines of JR, KJL, NM, Kirks Folly, etc. I'm sure ya'll can add lots of other lines whose names escape me now but were so enjoyable to watch and reasonable to purchase from. Now all we have is super expensive, same old same old designer lines in mostly sterling, computer, Dyson, etc. shows. Boring, boring. Hope the New Year 2015 brings back exciting and affordable costume jewelry shows!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Missing the glamorous costume jewelry shows!

I SO agree. I feel sad that the QVC powers-that-be decided to aim for the lowest common denominator. How about a little creativity and style? Every woman likes that. Costume jewelry provides the opportunity to be fashionable without breaking the budget. Perhaps with a new CEO we won't be subjected to infomercials and big box mart products.
Trusted Contributor

Joan Rivers jewelry line will continue, so that's good news. QVC also has a gorgeous fashion jewelry line that is, until recently, online only - Linea by Louis Dell'Olio. Maybe with the loss of Nolan Miller and the KJL line, QVC will offer one hour shows of Linea jewelry. With just a four-minute presentation of the long Linea glass pearls on Monday, several colors sold out! I think this line of fashion jewelry is just what many jewelry lovers have been wanting on QVC presentations.
Respected Contributor

I've begun to treasure my KJL jewelry above any other costume jewelry except that of Nolan Miller. Both did lovely things - quality pieces that endure forever IMHO. Nothing "trendy" - just classics pieces.

I know that eBay carries tons of KJL pieces and the prices are reasonable. I am amazed that they aren't as sought after as the JR pieces, since Kenneth may not be with us much longer - or maybe he isn't now. Last time I saw him on air he didn't look really great. Hope he is well.

Honored Contributor

I know ,OP. I miss those too. I love to go to the department stores and go through all the racks of costume jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I miss Nolan Miller. I do not have a lot of costume pieces ,may be 5 -6. But still I think it is fun to have and to watch those shows. There is definitely the demand for it and Q should bring some good people for it, especially now that not a lot of people can afford or even need expensive gold jewelry.
Respected Contributor

Agree, and I loved Joan Rivers and KJL especially. These shows -except for JR- must not have been profitable of Q would have continued presenting them.

Honored Contributor

On 10/29/2014 ellaphant said:

Agree, and I loved Joan Rivers and KJL especially. These shows -except for JR- must not have been profitable of Q would have continued presenting them.

Nolan Miller passed away - now,of course, so has Joan, and KJL was no longer presenting his line and Barry Ort - who was presenting it also has passed away.Apparently presenting costume jewelry on QVC is not very good for the health.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/29/2014 ellaphant said:

I'm sure KJL was profitable also- Kenneth's health wasn't the best for a long time and Barry Ort was terrific. With Barry's passing, though- that's what probably changed things for the line.

Honored Contributor

Costume jewelry is such a rip off. I refuse to pay $80 - $100 for a necklace. I would rather buy sterling silver by Michael Dawkins or Jai. I hate the fact that the Q stops the jewelry shows with Michael D, Jai, etc. during this holiday season. The Q would rather sell vacuums and computers .

kindness is strength