Valued Contributor

Roman Glass pieces--water damages them?

Help--anyone who has an Or Paz roman glass ring--does it matter if you shower in it or wash your hands often? The person I want to get it for is a nurse, so they will constantly be washing their hands often, and won't want a ring that they have to baby. I saw on a jewelry website that offers roman glass pieces, that roman glass shouldn't be submersed in water or it makes the patina flake off over time. I wasn't sure if the Or Paz pieces are treated in a way that makes them hold up better--anyone know?

Many thanks in advance for helpful replies, I'm really hoping this gift idea will work out.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roman Glass pieces--water damages them?

Read the reviews, said no water. Sounds to delicate for a nurse to wear while working.
Valued Contributor

I love or paz and I wanted a pendant with the roman glass. I read several reviews that the top coat peeled off the glass and it now looks ugly. Smiley Sad. So I'm not taking a chance and buying any roman glass. Although right now with the return policy you could wear it till Jan. and see if you have a problem.
Super Contributor

In the process of making pieces for jewelry, the colorful patina flakes are removed from the glass and reapplied to the glass surface to create an attractive look. I've read several times that you should not even touch the surface of the glass with your skin. I have a ring I rarely wear and it has faded. You are much better off with a pendant or earrings. Definitely don't get it wet.
Respected Contributor

I tried a ring. Not only did it flake, but chunks of glass broke off within hours of wear. I returned it.
Regular Contributor

I have a pair of earrings and also have a habit of reaching up through out the day and touching them (nervous habit?), if you even have lotion on your hands it removes the patina. Apparently I touch the right one much more than the left and it's simply a piece of cloudy glass now. Smiley Sad Very sad as I love the Roman glass pieces! I wouldn't purchase any additional pieces - even a pendant, as I also touch those through out the day...

Valued Contributor

Oh my, so glad I asked--thank you everyone. Although it would make an incredible gift, I think it would be inevitable that it would be forgotten & worn in water, then it would be ruined & upsetting-not the gift memory I wanted! So, I have to sadly move on. Thanks for saving me from all that.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Super Contributor

You almost have to wonder why a company would create a line of jewelry that apparently isn't meant to be worn.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much to all who have related personal experience with Roman glass pieces. I have always wanted some, but sadly, now think I will never buy any. I knew about the water but had no idea it was so affected by literally anything touching it :-(
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 SerenityNowMyndi said:

Help--anyone who has an Or Paz roman glass ring--does it matter if you shower in it or wash your hands often? The person I want to get it for is a nurse, so they will constantly be washing their hands often, and won't want a ring that they have to baby. I saw on a jewelry website that offers roman glass pieces, that roman glass shouldn't be submersed in water or it makes the patina flake off over time. I wasn't sure if the Or Paz pieces are treated in a way that makes them hold up better--anyone know?

Many thanks in advance for helpful replies, I'm really hoping this gift idea will work out.

If you want to get something sturdy for a nurse, you'd be much better off with Steel By Design. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}