Honored Contributor

Is Carolyn Pollack starting to lacquer her pieces?

I recently received the Kenneth Johnson turtle cuff. It appears as if there is a coat of lacquer over the entire surface, probably to preserve the oxidation. Personally I don't care for the appearance, I'd rather see rhodium than lacquer. But how about they leave native American pieces alone? This is J146178. Its going back anyway because the box is totally crushed, (this is a gift item) but I'd like to know about future pieces.

Super Contributor

Re: Is Carolyn Pollack starting to lacquer her pieces?

That sounds odd, and I've not ever had that issue (nice cuff BTW!) - you should email her at her customer service and ask. They're pretty quick with responses!

customerservice@carolynpollack.com

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Their CS is good. They'd probably send a new box if you asked, but it sounds like it might be going back anyway. It's a nice cuff!

Super Contributor

They may even send a replacement cuff . . not every piece can be perfect, and this one may have slipped through the cracks.

Honored Contributor

Jugtown, thanks for link. I wrote and will post answer when I get it.

Super Contributor

Hi depglass, I've owned the KJ turtle cuff since it launched on QVC and wear it several times a week. I also own the enhancer. If there was a lacquer coating on the cuff it would have started wearing off by now because I wash my hands, wash dishes, wash the dog, all while wearing my cuff, so I'm wondering if you received a defective cuff. The cuff is listed in the item description as being oxidized. Oxidized silver has been aged with a chemical; usually something called liver of sulfur, although every company has their own 'secret' formula to achieve the desired results. It's done on purpose to give a different look to the silver, it's especially nice on highly textured metal like KJ's designs because it highlights the design details beautifully. No doubt your cuff slipped through quality control. I know from experience, CP's team will make it right.

Regular Contributor

On 10/14/2014 jugtown said:

They may even send a replacement cuff . . not every piece can be perfect, and this one may have slipped through the cracks.

Depglass, I have been a collector of Carolyn Pollack Jewelry for 7 years. CPJ's customer service is second to none. Pursue your issue with customer service. I am confident they will make it right! Good luck!
Honored Contributor

I received a very nice email from a guy whose last name is Ybarra, forgot the first. He said they don't coat the silver pieces, but they are starting to coat the mixed metal pieces. He suggested I just order another and send it to them for inspection if I see the same issue. Unfortunately they are out of average, but I'm stalking this piece. Maybe I'm just too picky. Example, Or Paz, I have a white agate ring from them and a similar lapis ring from Passage to Israel, Shop HQ's line. Shop HQ's seems to have this coating while the Or Paz does not.

Super Contributor

Hi dep - it was either Lawrence or his twin, Luis - they're wonderful! So glad he was able to give more info on their processes. I hope you can get another one soon!