Trusted Contributor

Hagit's pearls - anyone have a problem with fading?

I have a necklace of hers with teal pearls. I've worn it about four times. I don't spray it with hairspray or perfume. I just got it out to possibly wear tonight and the pearls are so faded. They look almost like pale mint. The matching earrings I bought are in a different box (both are jewelry specific boxes with anti-moisture papers, etc.). They are still vivid. I'm so upset. I thought one time I had read a review on one of her items where pearls had faded.

Has anyone had this happen? I purchased this in the spring of this year. I'm going to call customer service, but I don't even think the necklace is still available. What would be the point if there is a problem with the coloration? Maybe taking it to a jeweler, which will cost the price of the necklace I'm sure.

Valued Contributor

Re: Hagit's pearls - anyone have a problem with fading?

I hope this is not happening because I have several of her pearl items. I will go check and repost.

Contributor

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear you're having this problem! I have 2 items with Hagit's teal pearls: one pair of dangling earrings and the multiple pearl ring (I got that one that is offered in many colors) in teal. I have some of her all silver necklaces and wear them with either hers or some of RLM's all silver, more delicate necklaces from some years ago. I mix their pieces quite often. I have had no fading with the teal pearls. I keep them in a pouch but I don't keep them in plastic or the black square with any of my pearls. When I want to shine my silver pieces that have pearls, I use a jewelers cloth and it shines the silver without damaging the pearls. My guess is plastic could be the culprit. I have had these pieces for at least a year and they look exactly as they did when I got them.

Contributor

I wanted to add that most of my pearls of Hagit's are white and I have some blush. I also have a few of her green pearls and none of them have faded. I am curious as to which necklace your teal pearls are in? Is it a flower one? I like to mix her pearl pieces with her all silver pieces but even my one cross has a green pearl in it and I've had that a while now and wear it rather often and no color change. I think they should reimburse you! I would give it a shot......call QVC customer service. There have been times when I've had a problem with something and have gone past the time limit even by months and still gotten reimbursed! They said it was obviously defective. The teal on the necklace almost sounds defective. It can't hurt to try! I would call them if it happened to me.

Respected Contributor

It will be almost impossible for a jeweler to match these dyed freshwater pearls especially if you need a specific size to install them into a setting in a necklace. If the color has faded all the way around each pearl, it was not anything you did to cause this. I agree with Pat22 plastic and pearls is a really bad storage combo, but I don't see this information anywhere in your post.

Your best bet is getting a matching piece on the secondary market. Either new or used.

I did go to ebay to look at Hagit's teal pearls. They are vibrant and saturated with color. You must be heartbroken.