Valued Contributor

Vicenza Jewelry Day...where is the Gold?

I checked on the "new" for the day in gold. There is one earring, one pendant, one bracelet, one style turquoise necklace and bracelet. Why send a team of buyers to the largest Italian jewelry show only to come back with next to nothing? And then devote a day to showing next to nothing! I guess QVC and the Italians are now mostly interested in bronze and silver. Yawn...

Frequent Contributor

Re: Vicenza Jewelry Day...where is the Gold?

As the mass-produced jewelry industry walks away from gold per se, I believe we are experiencing a paradigm shift in how we look at and think about jewelry. We are in a transitionary period where traditional preconceptions, and old ways of doing things are falling away. With emerging technologies, cutting-edge designs, and the cost of gold, we are changing the way we think about jewelry. New discoveries in material sciences, inspired ways to work with various metals, and unique creative designs, all conspire to change our thinking. The collections being presented today, show rather dramatically that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have beautiful jewelry that will last a lifetime. Gold collectors and gold traders will be stuck with 20th century mass-produced jewelry and custom made gold pieces. But mass-produced jewelry of the future is going to be quite exciting, engagingly beautiful, and very different!
Trusted Contributor

Great post firefly!

Contributor

Hi, I agree Junera, It would be great to see even an hour or two devoted to 14k and 18k new Italian designs. I'm hoping a much more equal mix of metal designs will be offered soon.

Valued Contributor

I think Firefly has good points about mass produced jewelry and new technology has benefits and beauty. But I also think gold jewelry will continue to have importance and QVC has always touted the fact that the Italians are masters of gold jewelry...so I have to wonder why there is so little new gold jewelry on today when it is all about Italy? Certainly there were gold items at the show and if you visit brick and mortar stores there remains a lot of gold on display. For me buying items that retain value is important which is why I prefer gold even if I have to buy less due to the higher prices.

Trusted Contributor

I guess quality gold jewelry has just gotten beyond the price point that QVC sells. I was also dismayed to see the selection of silver jewelry contains a lot of pieces that are colored or plated. I thought that's what bronzo was for.

Valued Contributor

In response to firefly - I agree. Ross Simmons also sells bronze and plated jewelry - used to be only gold and sterling.

Super Contributor

OK...but let's not start pretending that fashion or costume jewelry is now ""fine"" jewelry...The vendors shouldn't try to convince us of that...

Honored Contributor

Regardless of what that tedious buyer wants to put out there, it increasingly appears that QVC wouldn't know 'fine Italian jewelry' if it jumped up and bit them on their collective, uh..., kneecap.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Occasional Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Firefly901 said: As the mass-produced jewelry industry walks away from gold per se, I believe we are experiencing a paradigm shift in how we look at and think about jewelry. We are in a transitionary period where traditional preconceptions, and old ways of doing things are falling away. With emerging technologies, cutting-edge designs, and the cost of gold, we are changing the way we think about jewelry. New discoveries in material sciences, inspired ways to work with various metals, and unique creative designs, all conspire to change our thinking. The collections being presented today, show rather dramatically that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have beautiful jewelry that will last a lifetime. Gold collectors and gold traders will be stuck with 20th century mass-produced jewelry and custom made gold pieces. But mass-produced jewelry of the future is going to be quite exciting, engagingly beautiful, and very different!

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Put your thesaurus down and go outside for some fresh air.