Super Contributor

J296720 Barbara Bixby Sterling & 18K Fluorite & GarnetSolitaire Ring

This ring was originally sold out and on waitlist. I notice that all the sizes are back in stock.

If you ordered and received this ring, could you please give me your honest opinion of what you think of it. Mine is a little large and I was deliberating returning it for a smaller size or just returning it. I notice of the 5 people that wrote reviews, they thought the stone looked like a piece of colored glass and that it chipped very easily. I have bought many Bixby pieces and they have all been lovely. This is the first one I am questioning, as I am not familiar with Fluorite at all. My ring is definitely not green. It is more of a blue-green. It is a lovely stone, but does not have any radiance. Please let me have your opinion. Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Re: J296720 Barbara Bixby Sterling & 18K Fluorite & GarnetSolitaire Ring

I bought this ring and sent it back for the very reasons you list; even though the color of the stone was pretty, it was lifeless, and in most lighting it looked dull and dark. I was also concerned about the chipping factor. I don't like to have worry about such things when I wear jewelry, so the ring was returned. Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

On 9/24/2014 furbabylover said:

I bought this ring and sent it back for the very reasons you list; even though the color of the stone was pretty, it was lifeless, and in most lighting it looked dull and dark. I was also concerned about the chipping factor. I don't like to have worry about such things when I wear jewelry, so the ring was returned. Hope this helps.

furbabylover,

Thank you very much for your response.

Honored Contributor

Fluorite is only 4 on the mohs scale. I got a solitaire in a simple setting from Rocks TV for only $29.00. Its a color change stone going from blue to purple and it certainly isn't lifeless. For $299.00 she could have chosen a better quality stone, at least a better quality fluorite.

Super Contributor

I've got this ring, and the stone was see through, lightly colored green. It would turn blue green on the photos, but in real life it was light green.

Outside it would have a slight hint of purple. Because of the bad window in the stone, it was kind of hard to even concentrate on this ring. I would see my skin, and it is just not a good quality cut for such huge sized stone.

I love the ring design, and it did run at least half a size bigger.

Just the presence on undergallery would of improve the stone appearance significantly. It was definitely a design flaw, or it was a cutting cost issue. Disappointing. I love, love the setting. But it does require under gallery.

Super Contributor

Alice and Depglass,

Thank you for your input.

Super Contributor

On 9/24/2014 gem lover said:

Alice and Depglass,

Thank you for your input.

you are welcome!

Contributor

For me, this ring runs big. I originally ordered a 6, my regular size, and returned it for a 5, particularly as I didn't want it to flop around on my hand. Of all my Barbara Bixby rings, I have only one other 5, the blue chalcedony paisley ring which also ran large.

As for the fluorite, I have her other fluorite ring, the one that has pink and black stones around a large emerald cut fluorite. (LOVE that ring!) The new fluorite is a deeper, richer color and is MUCH larger. I have not had trouble with chipping, but I am careful. Frankly, I have several Lalique, Baccarat, and other crystal rings and I wear those all the time. I'm careful but not ridiculous.

You sound uncertain, so my suggestion would be that if you don't like it, send it back. If you're doubtful about size, swap it.

Smile

Honored Contributor

Gem lover, that you are asking probably tells you all you need to know. Wink

If you truly loved the ring, you probably wouldn't be seeking feedback from other owners. It's a very pretty ring, but if it somehow just isn't ringing true for you then it might be that something else, either now or down the road, will.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Stevie , You are absolutely right. Since I am apprehensive and not completely in love with this ring, back it goes. I have other lovely BBixby rings and many, many other lovelies to wear. Thanks for your input and solid advice.