Super Contributor

Jewelry Novice would appreciate your Expert opinion

Hello Jewelry Experts. I just purchased the JAI John Hardy Sterling Silver & 14K Croco Chain Link 20" Necklace $699.96 and JAI John Hardy Sterling & 14K Accent Gemstone Croco Wrap Ring $189. My question to you is whether you think the Q prices are " reasonable" based on: the materials used (sterling & 14K accent); the weight of the pieces; etc.. I know beauty is subjective - so my question is solely based on the factual information of the pieces ( not personal design taste). Thanks very much for your opinions.
Super Contributor

Re: Jewelry Novice would appreciate your Expert opinion

I do not think the value of the pieces are based on materials used....you are paying for the name of the artist, the workmanship and of course QVC typical price gouging. I say, if you love it, you want it and it fills your heart with joy every time you put it on, then it was a good purchase. Enjoy!
Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 gazelle77 said: I do not think the value of the pieces are based on materials used....you are paying for the name of the artist, the workmanship and of course QVC typical price gouging. I say, if you love it, you want it and it fills your heart with joy every time you put it on, then it was a good purchase. Enjoy!
Gazelle - Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree that jewelry purchases are "personal" and we buy what makes us happy. I look forward to seeing these 2 pieces and think they will be fun to wear. I do NOT usually spend this amount of money on jewelry -so I posted the question about " value". Thanks again.
Contributor

On 9/15/2014 MsCatLuver said: Hello Jewelry Experts. I just purchased the JAI John Hardy Sterling Silver & 14K Croco Chain Link 20" Necklace $699.96 and JAI John Hardy Sterling & 14K Accent Gemstone Croco Wrap Ring $189. My question to you is whether you think the Q prices are " reasonable" based on: the materials used (sterling & 14K accent); the weight of the pieces; etc.. I know beauty is subjective - so my question is solely based on the factual information of the pieces ( not personal design taste). Thanks very much for your opinions.

I don't own any of his pieces however they appear to be heavy silver, real gold (not clad or plated) and genuine gemstones. In addition, they have ornate, unique designs/details.

If the craftmanship is very good, then yes, I think they're worth it.

Respected Contributor

It's all perceived value. The cost of the metals and gems is a fraction of the cost of this item. If you love it they can charge anything and women will buy it. Look at Tiffany.

Valued Contributor

I purchase about over year ago the large two tone cross. The weight was substantial and a beautiful under gallery.Most people who review this jewelry line give it good reviews.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your replies
Respected Contributor

I'm very happy with these croco pieces. They are substantial and unique, comfortable, practical, and very well made. Time will tell, but I anticipate continuing to enjoy them. And the stories and lore add to the pleasure. The most beautiful jewelry I know of are antiques, but they are more fragile and expensive. It is the workmanship that counts because these handmade antique pieces may have very little weight in gold for instance. But their weight in beauty determines the value.
Respected Contributor

I have yet to purchase anything from this line but I would certainly love to. Aren't these pieces all hand-made which would make them labor-intensive. They are unique looking. I look at how a piece is made, the weight, the design, uniqueness. I can go many places and buy less expensive jewelry (yet it will still be pretty), but will it hold up?

Everyone here will have a difference of opinion on what is "value" to them. My "value" is not limited to the cost of the materials in the piece.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think the Jai jewelry is worth the price. I recently bought a hand-made beautifully finished Native American pendant, a figure of a kachina doll about 3" long, of very heavy sterling with a nice cabochon of Royston turquoise. Everywhere I go I get compliments on it. I had quite a conversation with a man who admired it in line at the post office yesterday. I found it online and it came with free shipping. How much? $120.00.

photo 5366b178-e208-4d10-8484-9e77cc4bf441.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment