Honored Contributor

What does it mean when silver turns your skin green?

My favorite form of braclets is silver cuffs. I wore my new Carolyn Pollack cuff today, the one with the three turquoise colored faceted doublets. My wrist is now green. I've never had this happen in my life with either silver rings or bracelets. Is this something wrong with the jewelry, or might I have something reactive on my skin? I would hate to send this back.

Regular Contributor

Re: What does it mean when silver turns your skin green?

When a ring turns your finger green it's either because of a chemical reaction between acids in your skin and the metal of the ring or a reaction between another substance on your hand, such as a lotion, and the metal of the ring. There are several metals that oxidize or react with your skin to produce a discoloration. You can get a noticeable green ring around your finger from wearing a ring made using copper. Some rings are pure copper, while others have a plating of another metal over copper or the copper may be part of the alloy (e.g., Sterling silver). The common green color is not harmful of itself, though some people experience an itchy rash or other sensitivity reaction to the metal and may wish to avoid exposure to the metal. A common culprit is silver, which is found in sterling silver jewelry, plating for inexpensive jewelry, and as an alloying metal in most gold jewelry. Acids cause the silver to oxidize, which produces tarnish. The tarnish can leave a dark ring on your finger. If you are sensitive to metals, you may see a discoloration from wearing a ring containing nickel, though most likely this will be a red ring and may be associated with inflammation. Even silver and gold jewelry can produce a discoloration, so advice for avoiding a green finger isn't as simple as just avoiding cheap jewelry. You can use colorless nail polish on the underside of your jewelry to make a barrier.
Frequent Contributor

I know this may sound crazy..but if i have a little too much wine..the next day my silver and gold jewelry turn my skin green. These are pieces of jewelry that never cause a problem. It has to be more than a couple glasses..Fortunately this does not happen too often.

Honored Contributor

....or eating lots of tomatoes.

Honored Contributor

You are an alien.
Honored Contributor

I've worn that bracelet without removing it since I got it last week. I've had no trouble whatsoever. I'm very sensitive to nickel in jewelry and would have developed a rash if that had been a problem. I'd say your chemistry is incompatible with the silver in the bracelet.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

On 9/8/2014 faeriemoon said: You are an alien.
Lol too funny
Valued Contributor

Acids cause the silver to oxidize, which produces tarnish. The tarnish can leave a dark ring on your finger.

Carolyn Pollack's pieces are all treated with acid to get her signature blackened oxidized.finish. Perhaps it's the chemicals she uses to darken her silver that are reacting with yor skin.

Esteemed Contributor

I always thought it was from the copper content in the silver jewelry.

Super Contributor

On 9/8/2014 Blondelle said:

Acids cause the silver to oxidize, which produces tarnish. The tarnish can leave a dark ring on your finger.

Carolyn Pollack's pieces are all treated with acid to get her signature blackened oxidized.finish. Perhaps it's the chemicals she uses to darken her silver that are reacting with yor skin.

Good guess, Blondelle, but not in this case, I believe. If it is the same one I have with tuquoise doublets at the end, it is shiny silver all the way. BTW - it is absolutely gorgeous. Once in a blue moon I, too, have a reaction to silver on my skin. Usually with rings. And, I cannot at all wear silver in my ears. I need at least 14k gold. So I have a couple of white gold hoops I pair with all my silver.