Super Contributor

Clearance priced oval stainless steel watch...

Wow! After watching it this weekend I decided it was too good a deal to pass on. I thought I would go back and read all the reviews this evening, but because it sold out Q already removed the item! Darn. I really wanted to read what everyone had to say about that pretty watch. Guess I will have to wait to see it in person.
Valued Contributor

Re: Clearance priced oval stainless steel watch...

I was considering getting it too until I read the reviews. They weren't that good. Some said that the stem fell off or they couldn't push it back in when extended. They said it felt lightweight and didn't look like a quality piece. One said the metal under the clasp was rough. They also said the dye on the zebra hair calf didn't go all through the band and that the straps looked cheap. The straps were only in one length unlike the sizing with the metal band. I think there were also some comments about it not keeping good time.

The comments on the chrono watch were similar with many complaining the second hand didn't work, or only worked with the chrono feature. There were many complaints about the stem falling off and some on the deployment buckle opening. I forget which watch it was but one said the brown plating was coming off and exposing the silver under it.

I had really wanted one of these and was happy that they had a Swiss movement, but I don't like what I've read. I wish they would get their quality control up to snuff. It seems the prices keep getting higher and the quality lower. Too many complaints about stones falling out and being lackluster, and the plating being dull on other assorted pieces.

Super Contributor

benzgirl, I have this watch in the silver. I've worn in lots of times. I have had no negative issues with it at all. Not regarding keeping time or falling apart. Its at a great price & I hope you will like it as much as I do.

I also have the chrono watch in rose & the silver. Again, I wear it often and have had no negative issues with it. I bought the silver version for my daughter who works in the medical field. I know she wears it almost every day.

I have learned over the years that if I like an item I try to get it home to see & wear it for myself. I don't always trust reviews unless I know the person. I'm trying to say if I know a person as a fan of Ripka jewelry.

Respected Contributor

benzgirl: I don't have this watch, but I have a lot of watches. When you get the watch, judge for yourself. I've seen some of the type of comments reported for other watches, and manufacturers get returns of watches, based upon things that aren't defects, but part of the watch design.

For example, the comments about the second hand not working unless the watch is in chrono mode, Most chronograph movements have a small second hand in a subdial (usually at either 3 or 6 o'clock positions, depending upon the movement) and that small second hand is the constantly running second hand. The larger 'second hand' is part of the chronograph function and is only supposed to work when the chrono is running. Some people don't like this design and run the chronograph all the time. This is not good for the watch, it will drain the battery.

Many watches also have screw-down crowns (I don't know if this one does). This type of crown increases the water resistance level of a watch and is a quality feature. But many people aren't familiar with a screw-down crown and try to force it open, thereby damaging the watch. If the crown doesn't pull out easily, just turn it counter-clockwise until it pops out. Then gently pull it out.... usually there are 2 additional positions... the first for setting the date and the second for setting the time. Then it's important to push the crown all the way in and screw it down again (turning clock-wise) to preserve the water resistance.

There are other features of good watches that people are sometimes unfamiliar with or just don't like. So judge for yourself. Of course, any watch could have quality issues or poor workmanship. But those are different than design features that someone just doesn't like or understand.

Super Contributor

Thank you ladies. Wish I had taken the time to read the reviews before I ordered but I have never had a bad experience with any of her watches and hope for the same with this purchase. I am going to let this one come home and judge for myself. I couldn't believe the clearance price! PEPPER... I own the white version of the chrono and the other large round that has been in inventory for many years. Other than my silicone JR watches, this is the best value I have ever seen on one of her watches. I love the bracelet band and the other two leather bands. The striped one? Not so much...but I might like it better in person. Again, thank you for your thoughts, ladies. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

GOOD NEWS!!! They re-posted the item info and the reviews. (I guess that the small and medium are available on wait-list.) This makes me very happy 'cos I really like reading other people's opinions on an item. Smiley Happy))
Honored Contributor

I have the watch in black. I have a large collection of high quality watches with which to compare it. There is nothing wrong with the watch. It works just fine, runs accurately and is very good looking. I've never used any of the leather bands because I like the black metal and have other watches in the band colors. A leather strap is adjustable so it only makes sense it would only come in one size. I think some people criticize just to see their words in writing.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I'm certain that's true Kachina. I have four of the silicones, two of her ceramics and two of her silvers. This will be number nine in my Ripka watch collection and I am looking forward to receiving another great JR watch. BTW...always admired that black when this was first presented - - bet it's beautiful in person.
Valued Contributor

benzgirl, i got this watch recently in the silver (and mine is one of the recent reviews). the watch itself is gorgeous. seriously stunning. i like the weight of it too. my issue with it was that i bought it as a gift for someone and the one i got is not presentable as a gift. the watch, though clearly a return, seems fine. it was missing the plastic cover on the face and was not closed so it was in the bottom of the box. not the world's biggest deal, for sure. the box i got was a hot mess. i thought that i received an empty box because the inside of the box was destroyed and nothing was attached the way it should be so when the unclasped watch fell off of the pillow, it ended up settling underneath all of the pieces at the bottom of the box. the outside of the box is falling apart as well. if i were keeping it for myself, i'd be slightly annoyed but probably wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be a gift so the presentation really matters and there's nothing presentable about this box. but, the watch is so pretty that i ordered another one when i saw they'd reduced the clearance price again. hopefully the second box is presentable and then maybe i'll have two gifts (might keep the other one as a gift for me since it seems there are no more!). anyway, my point is that you'll probably love it. it's classic and at this clearance price, what a deal! i'm not really a watch person but this one is really impressive.

Valued Contributor

Is there any mother of pearl on the face of the silver watch at all? It doesn't say so but some of the photos I've seen make it look like there is.