New Contributor

Why are earring posts so SHORT?????

Why are the earring posts so SHORT? Why don't the jewelry makers consider the thickness of a woman's earlobe. You need enough length to do through the earlobe and then some to put through the backing. The QVC earring backs are really nice, but you have to have a long post otherwise they are unbearable to wear. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I am sure there are a lot of women out there who have the same complaint about earrings.

Please jewelers, reconsider the length you make the posts. Better a little longer than short and painful. Even clip-ons are less painful than these short posts.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are earring posts so SHORT?????

ITA......

Honored Contributor

Because the posters don't have much to say? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I think my blood sugar must be low!
Esteemed Contributor

very funny...violann.....hahahaha.....quit wit....my blood sugar was 103.....today.....Dr. was happy.....

Valued Contributor

Oh my, I have to have them cut off, they are always too long for my ears. I have never had a pair with short post!

Super Contributor

Would you believe that when I got my ears pierced as a teen, the piercer actually made comments about my "fat ear lobes". He kept fussing over them, making me feel as though my "fatties" were ruining his day.

I'm being serious when I tell you that he kept making disparaging comments on how "fat" they were, and how the needle might not be able to penetrate the "unusual fleshiness" of my earlobe.

Talk about giving someone a complex! I was probably the only teenage girl obsessing over the size of her earlobes! He made me feel misshapen and ugly. LOL - sorry to go off topic, but this thread just unleashed a flood of those unpleasant memories!

Super Contributor

I've never had a pair of posts that were too short. I have had some that were too long and stabby-in-the-neck.

I don't like hoop earrings because the bar is too long and the earring hangs forward, so the bar shows. I have to put those plastic earring backs on the bar, between my ear and the part it clips into, to make it "fit".

Me and my skinny ears, eh.

Honored Contributor

On 8/25/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Would you believe that when I got my ears pierced as a teen, the piercer actually made comments about my "fat ear lobes". He kept fussing over them, making me feel as though my "fatties" were ruining his day.

I'm being serious when I tell you that he kept making disparaging comments on how "fat" they were, and how the needle might not be able to penetrate the "unusual fleshiness" of my earlobe.

Talk about giving someone a complex! I was probably the only teenage girl obsessing over the size of her earlobes! He made me feel misshapen and ugly. LOL - sorry to go off topic, but this thread just unleashed a flood of those unpleasant memories!

It was HIM ... not you !! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

The reason they make them short is to save money. This is especially true in 14K earring posts. My ear lobes are quite normal {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} and I have some earrings where the post is so short I'm afraid the back (clutch) will fall off. If you are making thousands of pairs of earrings and you can save 1/8" of gold on each earring, your profit is higher. As to why they do this on silver, bronze, base metal... maybe the reason is the same, to save money, or maybe it's because they earring are designed by people (men) who don't wear them!

Valued Contributor

They're always ridiculously too long for me too.

I guess they aim for the average ear lobe depth and for we unlucky outliers, it's just too long or too short.