Frequent Contributor

I am on waitlist for 2 sleeping beauty rings. One is the doublet shown at the end of the show and the other is the large stone with the split gold shank. I have the Ecclissi watch with the turquoise face. I thought the doublet was so much lighter in color that it would not look as nice as the other ring. There is about $150.00 price difference. The doublet is the cheaper. What do you think?

Trusted Contributor
In the past, I've never been a fan of doublets or triplets particularly in rings because there was always a caution to avoid contact with water which could make the stone(s) cloudy due to interaction with the glue between the layers. I notice this caution isn't highlighted so much anymore so there may have been significant improvements in the glues used to bond the layers. This would be my main caution to you. That said, I love the opalescent quality the crystal lends to the stone underneath. Good luck with your choices and please post your thoughts upon receipt and wear!
Honored Contributor

I always thought doublets were used to enhance or "magnify" smaller or inferior stones, but I may be wrong about that................(I personally wouldn't buy a stone that had been bonded)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

There were two doublets, as I recall, and the one shown at the end of the last show was a beautiful piece. I've not been one to prioritize doublets, though, as I do other gemstones. It's a very individual choice and I'm not sure you can really compare the two pieces. The split shank ring was beautiful and a bit more understated than the doublet ring. Both are very, very desirable. Personally, I wouldn't make the selection based on the watch but on which of the rings works best with your jewelry collection overall and which one you assume will afford you the most wear.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your input! I have read doublets are used to cover smaller stones that are glued together sometimes. After sleeping on it I still don't know which to choose! Sonnie

Respected Contributor

I loved both rings. I would have to go with the non-doublet because I am too much of a klutz to remember to keep my hands out of water. No joke.

Honored Contributor
On 8/16/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

Thank you for your input! I have read doublets are used to cover smaller stones that are glued together sometimes. After sleeping on it I still don't know which to choose! Sonnie

It's a hard choice. The doublet ring is very, very pretty. The other is probably more classic. One, to me is more dressy, the other a bit more universal. Both are lovely. I'd guess the second offers more gold presence and is clearly a better example of a nice size Sleeping Beauty piece, if those are important factors. The first, on the other hand, is very feminine and has the diamond presence.

Ships 11/13/14 14K Gold Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Doublet Ring - J318416Ships 11/13/14 14K Gold Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Rope Design Ring - J318506

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
The doublet looks like cheap plastic. It doesn't look like real turquoise. If you are paying for turquoise, you deserve turquoise. Not a thin sliver of it under a layer of chrystal quartz.
Frequent Contributor

Stevieb, thank you so much for posting the two rings together. I have no idea how to do that! It makes it easier to compare. I don't think the doublet looks like cheap plastic in person, I am leaning towards the other however. Sonnie Probably a better investment in the long run.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of doublets at all.