Valued Contributor

Noticed that a lot of Gold Rush jewelry is described as "Hollow Construction".

I was considering buying several of the gold pieces offered today, including Today's Special Value, until I read the fine print about them being of "hollow construction". This usually means that the piece is filled with silicone, but if it is not then it dents like crazy. Also, I have heard that some of the silicone jewelry "peels" because the thin gold sheet separates from the silicone after wear and tear. What value is this kind of gold? Your thoughts?

Super Contributor

Re: Noticed that a lot of Gold Rush jewelry is described as ""Hollow Construction"".

You can search for "solid gold" items, but they are usually chains. Gold items have been hollow for years and years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Noticed that a lot of Gold Rush jewelry is described as ""Hollow Construction"".

I noticed that as well. There wasn't too much difference in the price comparison on the items that I was interested in. I found it a bit odd to be stated in that manner. Hollow usually sounds fragile to me. Who wants that? Of course, if they had used a thick piece of gold for the wall so the earring but hollow out the inside of the tube then I think someone would have mentioned that on air or it would have stated in the on line description. As a result, I decided that I did not want to find out that it snapped, dented or fell off my ear or finger so I passed on those items.

Contributor

Electroform or hollow construction is still far better than plated resin/silicone. 2-8 microns of gold is layered over resin apparently (per one manufacturer, not sure what Qvc uses. Not much gold when one considers a human hair is 70 microns across.
Respected Contributor

QVC has been selling electroform or hollow jewelry since I've been a viewer and so have other jewelry retailers for that matter. I still wear 14k bracelets I purchased from QVC 20 years ago and they are just fine. Still wearing the earrings I purchased from them as well.

Contributor

I have several 14K rings I've purchased from QVC over the years...not ONE of them was described as having "hollow construction." I wouldn't buy one that did, and if my rings were constructed that way then I've been deceived.

Frequent Contributor

pebblebrook almost all jewelry is hollow. The exception can be some chains. QVC states solid gold when it is. The price you pay will tell you if it is solid gold. Most earrings would be to heavy to wear if they were solid. I suspect the resin filled jewelry will wear better and last longer than some of the other jewelry sold.

Super Contributor

What kentuckyWoman says is correct - I, too, have pieces from over 20 years ago - they always made them that way - they are lovely and not dented at all - of course, I don't wear the same piece constantly and therefor my jewelry rarely even looks worn! Much better than the stuff they are now offering for sure - Bronzo, etc. !!

Trusted Contributor

I have no interest in silicon or resin filled jewelry.

Other than earrings, which I don't want heavy, I am not interested in "hollow construction." I have tried it, and it doesn't hold up to wear and tear (for me). IMO, the electroform from 20 years ago was heavier (contained more gold) than the hollow construction of today.

Do the math.