Super Contributor

Question about availability of SB Turquoise Naja Enhancer J283091

I watched the July 4th evening show with Lisa and Carolyn Pollack where Lisa was wearing this and they said they had limited quantities and I believe it was nearly sold out by the end of the show - they said they were down to a few dozen. They said they'd never be able to make more because of the limited quantity of available, matched SB turquoise in the size and quantity needed for this piece.

Then, last night, they presented the item again in the Lisa/Carolyn show and said they had 600 pieces. They said again they would never be able to make this again because there were not enough SB stones in those quantities that matched.

Does this mean that nearly 600 people returned this item after the July 4th show and they put those back up for sale? Is this the normal routine for limited quantity jewelry at the Q?

I've never paid that much attention to this type of thing from show to show, but this time it really puzzled me because they made such a big deal about the limited quantity, the closed mine, the uniquely matched and sized stones, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about availability of SB Turquoise Naja Enhancer J283091

I assume your questions are rhetorical since you must know no one here can answer them. We don't have an inside track as to how Carolyn sources turquoise. I think we'd all agree that we're sick of ""the mine is closed"" line as a sales gimmick.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I would think that they'd have to sell the pieces ""as is"" if they were customer returns. My guess is that there is a little embellishment on the availability...and they probably option the ability to get more but don't talk about that in the hard-sell script. How much more is optioned is a question though.

Super Contributor

In the July show, I thought they meant - not sure of the availability "at this price". I do believe the hosts double talk at times, and make things a bit confusing - that's just not fair. But I also believe, if they've gotten more SB from whatever source, it is at a higher price, since all types of turquoise has gone up tremendously recently. I guess we'll soon find out if the quality of the SB is as good as the original pieces that were brought to QVC. Also, the SB naja was not sold out in July - it did go to wait list though.

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Super Contributor

I'm probably wrong, but aren't there two SB naja enhancers? I thought they had different price points, and one went to advance order ... ? Did they present the same naja?

Honored Contributor

Yes, ennui, one was the all silver "hot pick" and the other was the big SB turquoise naja.
Super Contributor

I was talking about the large naja that they kept calling the Super Nova Naja - or something like that - with 26 stones.

I, too, thought that if items were returned, they would sold in the "as is" section and not returned to the regular stock section, but I didn't know if jewelry was different. I guess I never thought about it in terms of different categories before, but if a jewelry item was returned to QVC in perfectly unused condition, would they sell it as new? Obviously there are categories of items sold at the Q that cannot be re-sold as new, like makeup.

Super Contributor

On 8/10/2014 Jayro said:

I, too, thought that if items were returned, they would sold in the "as is" section and not returned to the regular stock section, but I didn't know if jewelry was different. I guess I never thought about it in terms of different categories before, but if a jewelry item was returned to QVC in perfectly unused condition, would they sell it as new? Obviously there are categories of items sold at the Q that cannot be re-sold as new, like makeup.

Returned items go back into regular inventory. Sorry to tell you. There are federal regulations about cosmetics, but don't assume anything there, either.

Honored Contributor

Let's face it, they talk out of both sides of their mouths... I believe this was the same enhancer sold in July as it seems Lisa said she ordered it then. I don't believe that many people ordered and returned. Though there were undoubtedly some who ordered and cancelled, I'd guess there were more added to the inventory...

As for the mine being closed, yes, I'm fully tired of hearing about it... At least for the short term, it appears SB is kicking black spinel to the curb as the Q's gemstone flavor of the month and while I greatly prefer turquoise to black spinel, I continue to wonder why they persist in picking a single stone to beat into oblivion. The CP shows were essentially little other than turquoise, and SB turquoise at that..., and that's unfortunate because one of the strengths of her line has been the VARIETY of gemstones offered. Personally, I'd like to see a little more green turquoise!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Stevieb, You're right, we've heard more than enough about Sleeping Beauty turquoise. It's admittedly a beautiful blue color but it is far from being the finest or most valuable turquoise in the world. That honor usually goes to Lander Blue which poster Alijoi posted a picture of in the thread "How to we know the SB Mine is closed". There are many other types of turquoise which are more sought after by collectors and bring huge prices. I know of fine galleries in Albuquerque that won't allow SB to pass through their doors. The whole SB business has been glamorized and commercialized like no other jewel. You're right, we need to see more variety and some new and different turquoise.