Contributor

Jewelry Maker John Hardy Sold, What Happens To QVC Line?

If you are interested... Go to Homeshoppingista's Blog - she has an article about Jewelry Maker John Hardy being sold.

It was acquired by Catterton, the Leading Consumer Focused Private Equity Firm.

http://homeshoppingista.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor

Re: Jewelry Maker John Hardy Sold, What Happens To QVC Line?

Private equity firms are created to make money by cutting staff, cutting quality and then re-selling. They aren't in t for the long run...they are in it to make profit and then dump the company, usually within 5 years for tax purposes.

Another sad story to add to the growing list.

JUST ONCE I wish that one actual jewelry maker would maybe buy another and keep quality and integrity intact!!!

Valued Contributor

I will assume this means we should diligently seek out what is in John Hardy stock now because if what you say is true, what may be coming later may be lesser quality.

It has happened before.....

Esteemed Contributor

I would assume that if the QVC Hardy line is profitable the new ownership would continue it. It requires nothing more than manufacturing costs since the designs are interpreted from what is done for their high end jewelry store line and no advertising budget is needed. A number of things could happen, but if the line is a moneymaker it will probably go forward on QVC.

Super Contributor

The original John Hardy sold out in 2007, so I doubt anyone will notice this last change.

Valued Contributor

On 8/7/2014 ennui_too said:

The original John Hardy sold out in 2007, so I doubt anyone will notice this last change.

Thanks, ennui, didn't know that.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/7/2014 motherinlaw said:
On 8/7/2014 ennui_too said:

Thanks, ennui, didn't know that.

Today many companies which produce consumer retail goods change hands more than once. Usually it's done with so seamlessly and with such little fanfare that we as the consumers never even notice.

Honored Contributor

Well, we noticed Ojon. We noticed Philosophy.

Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 motherinlaw said:

I will assume this means we should diligently seek out what is in John Hardy stock now because if what you say is true, what may be coming later may be lesser quality.

It has happened before.....

Yes. The first thing they do is cut back on quality - and "ride" on the company's reputation for a while.

Since private equity firms re-sell by the 5th year, they don't care at all about any long term damage they may be doing to the brand. It's all squeezing the biggest profit out of the business that they can.

We have seen it over and over...Philosophy, Ripka, Makowsky, Tova...they all cash out and leave the company to gradually slip away.