Super Contributor

Going to sell some jewelry, need some advice

I am going to a large family owned local jeweler who buys and sells everything, estate, coins,whatever. They are well known where I live as far as reputation. I prefer to sell it myself, in person and not through the mail. I have many beautiful Italian heavy pieces bought 15 years ago. My question to you is how should I bring them in...separate in zip locks? Separate out the different grades 10, 14, 18 KT? It makes me nervous to carry it all in there. I suppose I should call and set up an appointment . Any advice would be appreciated.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Going to sell some jewelry, need some advice

Yes, separate the different grades...ask them how much per gram each grade is...the last time I sold gold (a little over a year ago), I got $30.00 per gram for 14k...which was a good price. Not sure the price they are paying now, but it's lower I'm sure.

Super Contributor

Are you selling scrap gold, or consignment jewelry?

If you're just selling scrap, separate the karat weights.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Gazelle! I recently went through the same thing with a well known local jeweler in my area. I did separate the items by kt and individually wrapped them in tissue paper and carried it in one of my larger totes. When I got there, they actually recommended putting some pieces in the estate case as opposed to selling only for gold weight. You get a better price if the items sell that way than if they are scrapped. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Esteemed Contributor

First, call the jeweler and ask how much they're paying per gram for 10KT. I suggest u separate by grade and take in all of that grade, i.e., 10KT or 14KT etc. It will be easier for u organize and will be less confusing. Never take ur eyes off the jewelry --- don't let them take some pieces to the back. They need to do everything in front of ur eyes. If that goes well, u can take more jewelry in later on.

Honored Contributor

If you're selling for scrap, I'd get estimates from two or three places. Prices can very quite a bit from one place to another.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I did this for some inherited items.

You should phone to make sure the correct individual will be there, some lower level clerks can not do an appraisal.

When they start their work they will sort everything out by their own method or by stone or whatever.

And you will be fine carrying it to the shop, no one will suspect what you have.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the great suggestions! ...I am reading them and will take notes.
Honored Contributor

On 8/3/2014 kivah said:

First, call the jeweler and ask how much they're paying per gram for 10KT. I suggest u separate by grade and take in all of that grade, i.e., 10KT or 14KT etc. It will be easier for u organize and will be less confusing. Never take ur eyes off the jewelry --- don't let them take some pieces to the back. They need to do everything in front of ur eyes. If that goes well, u can take more jewelry in later on.

kivah, if we know our pieces, what is the danger if the jeweler takes the pieces to the back? It sounds as though you know something that the rest of us might benefit from knowing. Would this be only if the gold pieces have precious stones or no matter what sort of pieces they are? TIA

Contributor

My advice would be to hang on to this jewelry. You will never be able to replace the quality that you have already own and gold is not at an all time high. Gold will be back and some day you will wish you still owned these beautiful pieces. It doesn't take us much space to store, and you will have good quality piece to wear once again. Recently I have noticed a few bold pieces out and about and they look good to me again! You can always sell it, but you won't be able to get it back once it's sold!