Honored Contributor

A lot of hosts are saying this lately. I want you to get these earrings. I want you to try this cleanser. Is this persuasive to you, maybe on a subconscious level? At least its non-threatening.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ""I want you to . . . ""

seems too demanding...

Valued Contributor

Nothing any host says entices me to buy. What entices me to buy is a good product at a good price. Hosts hold no sway over my decisions either way.

But for rare exception, I don't watch QVC anymore, but I do check out products online and watch an occasional presentation on my computer and nothing but nothing causes me to click off a product faster than those stupid calls. Not going to waste one moment of my time listening to what is, most times, nonsensical drivel.

Maria

Honored Contributor

Not a host, but Sandra Lee (Semi-Homemade) does this and it drives me crazy. I think it's a bit bossypants! {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Frequent Contributor

On 7/31/2014 curlywhitedog said:

Nothing any host says entices me to buy. What entices me to buy is a good product at a good price. Hosts hold no sway over my decisions either way.

But for rare exception, I don't watch QVC anymore, but I do check out products online and watch an occasional presentation on my computer and nothing but nothing causes me to click off a product faster than those stupid calls. Not going to waste one moment of my time listening to what is, most times, nonsensical drivel.

Maria

I agree with Maria. I don't let the hosts sway me - mostly I just laugh at some of their selling tactics. I rely on what I view as the quality of the product, for the price. If it is something that has been sold before, I will also go and check out the reviews online.

Trusted Contributor

I'd be glad to do it, if they sent it to me for free.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor

On 7/31/2014 lolakimono said:

I think it's a bit bossypants!

Isn't it a bit like when a mother says ""I want you to take out the garbage""?

Respected Contributor

They probably all took a workshop recently in salesmanship, and learned this technique. I would imagine Q is big on continuing staff education, when it comes to their sales people.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Frequent Contributor

I don't care for that phrasing either. I do get influenced by the hosts though, the ones I trust. After a few years of shopping channel buying I have opinions about which hosts I'll listen to -- don't want to name names. Smiley Happy We all know there are some who gush madly and love EVERYTHING.

Respected Contributor

I think they just look for ways to throw in more syllables to fill the time. Bobbi Ray Carter cracks me up with her repetitive "and now, ladies and gentlemen, you have the opportunity to be able to buy ....". There ya go. 10 seconds eaten up.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}