Honored Contributor

Vegas Rocks - Listening between the lines

For once and for all, do any of these "designers" actually design their own stuff? Or do they just go to a show, in this case, Las Vegas, and pick out pre-made styles? I could carry this question over to the other networks. Highly suspicious to me are Victoria Weick and Jean Dousset. And here at QVC, who designs and who doesn't? I'm thinking Ripka, Dawkins, and Bixby are actually real designers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Vegas Rocks - Listening between the lines

I've also wondered the same thing, especially since I see a lot of the same exact jewelry from one designer to another. And I also agree that there are a few true designers who create original, artistic pieces... namely the ones you mentioned.

Super Contributor

I see similar items on shopping channels a lot lately. There was a tanzanite ring on ShopHQ that was over $700 and the SAME EXACT RING (carat weight, 14K white gold, style, etc) was on JTV for about $450! I also notice that occasionally when Chuck's items don't sell well, they end up on JTV as an "opportunity buy".

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Super Contributor

It's like when LisaR and team go to the Vicenza shows, select items, and slap a GILI tag on it.

I never thought any of the SHQ people actually designed anything, anyway. Do they make that claim?

Respected Contributor

I agree, and think it would be useful to have more distinctions within the term "design". I have seen Victoria Weick show some of her sketches, and HSN will show clips of her "designing" at her "studio". Am I just naïve to think this means she has original ideas?

The bottom line for me is, if I like it and can afford it, I don't care who designed it (with the exception of Nene Leakes, who will never see one cent of my money, but I don't like her "designs" anyway).

Trusted Contributor

You raise a good question, dep. I've noticed the same thing. While I look at lots of jewelry, the "designer" thing doesn't do anything for me. I prefer to wear mostly classic pieces, so something overly clever or too flashy won't get me to open my wallet. The name attached to a piece means nothing at all to me. If I like it and it fits my personal style, I'll buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

Who cares. If I like the piece of jewelry, I'll buy it.
Esteemed Contributor

I tend to think MV on Shop does his own designs, not sure about the others. I only have 1 piece of victoria weick's jewelry and that is because I loved the bicolor stone.

I have to say that I'm mostly like blingqueen, if I like it, I buy it.

Lots of the jewelry that I love the most and is the most unique was bought from Q before they got so heavily into their "designer" phase.

Respected Contributor

Michael V. for sure designs his things. And I agree with Bling, if you like it you buy it.
Honored Contributor

My point is I don't like paying extra for a designer name when it really isn't a designer piece. But I've had a ball yesterday and today watching all the jewelry shows, mostly on ShopHQ, some HSN and LC. I'm a big news watcher, but the news is so depressing I just can't keep it on the TV all day.