Contributor

QVC gems vs. other shopping channels

I have only purchased jewelry through QVC and a little through HSN. What are your opinions on the quality of the pieces (especially gems) sold on QVC vs. the other shopping channels, specifically ShopHQ and HSN? It seems their prices are a bit lower and ShopHQ has a wider selection of gemstones.
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC gems vs. other shopping channels

I tend still to think QVC's jewelry, overall, (and not saying this is the case for every single piece or every single line they offer), is a cut above the others, though certainly not the full step up it used to be. I'm also not saying the variety is what it used to be, by a long shot.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

ShopHQ is still best. Used to be amazing. Now not as good ,but still better. JTV is getting better now.
Honored Contributor

I'm like the OP. I only shop at QVC (mostly) and some at HSN. That's it!

In my opinion HSN has gone way down hill in the past 2 to 3 years. I still like Victoria Wieck's jewelry.

I used to buy a lot of jewelry from both but prefer it to be in gold and a little in silver.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/16/2014 annabellethecat said:

I'm like the OP. I only shop at QVC (mostly) and some at HSN. That's it!

In my opinion HSN has gone way down hill in the past 2 to 3 years. I still like Victoria Wieck's jewelry.

I used to buy a lot of jewelry from both but prefer it to be in gold and a little in silver.

I totally agree, there was a time when HSN had beautiful gemstones and the prices were outstanding (especially their sale/clearance). I haven't bought much from them in years jewelry wise, but the last few things I got were not up to par. I used to collect Nicky Butler pieces, but the last few I ordered were not good quality and the silver was cheaper.

I haven't bought many gemstones on ShopHQ, except for black spinel once and recently some items from their Tuscana Italiana line. The items I do have are of nice quality and are saturated well.

I agree with annabelle... QVC overall has the best quality gemstones most consistently. I've rarely returned a QVC gemstone item because of the stone itself.

Regular Contributor

I prefer QVC over HSN for jewelry and for most things. I didn't always think this but I agree, HSN's quality has really gone down. I have some beautiful pieces from HSN and I 'm grateful but the Q gets my money now.

I purchased so much today.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/16/2014 SANNA said: ShopHQ is still best. Used to be amazing. Now not as good ,but still better. JTV is getting better now.
I agree with sanna. For jewelry and watches, ShopHQ is best. For everything else, I believe QVC is best.
Super Contributor

At one time I bought lots of jewelry from HSN but then I found Value Vision ( ShopHQ) and they blew HSN out of the water. I liked Shop @ Home for some things...like tanzanite and pearls. I have never bought jewelry from QVC. I do buy more from QVC than in the past and I still buy from HSN. I don't buy jewelry from either one.
Honored Contributor

The jewelry market has changed. Single large stones in gold are no longer affordable for the casual collector, they are now once in a lifetime pieces. Rubies, emeralds and sapphires are marketed in lesser qualities than the "old days." So a new world of stones and metal treatments has been opened to us. QVC is no longer the TV style leader, they seem to wait until others create the demand before they get on board, usually at a higher price. That means my casual impulse purchases are going elsewhere, usually Shop HQ, but also HSN and even the cut rate LC. What jewelry I have bought from QVC lately has not been gemstones, its been Carolyn Pollack silver and Honora pearls.

Honored Contributor

SHQ certainly beats the pants off the Q with regard to the volume and frequency of jewelry shows, it seems, but I remain unconvinced they offer higher quality these days. Of the several pieces of jewelry I've ordered from SHQ almost all of them appear more 'costume-ish' in nature than I would have expected... I don't think today's QVC offers nearly the nice jewelry they used to, but unless I've missed something elsewhere, I'm not convinced either of the others are doing it better...

As for Gem Day, I guess I wasn't as wowed by it as some seem to have been. I didn't buy a thing. Clearly, they had some lovely (and pricey) pieces but very little available for us seeking more middle of the road items and prices, it seemed. As usual, they also were stingy with Easy Pay. While they certainly covered both ends of the spectrum, and offered some beautiful jewelry along with some real low-end stinkers, those traditional and mid-range gemstones seemed to be completely lacking... I also don't care for multi-gemstone jewelry at all, and they seemed to have quite a bit of it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...