Respected Contributor

Even though I've heard of Majorica in passing years ago, only yesterday did I catch a presentation on HSN. It really intrigued me.

As a pearl lover, I would like to hear about your experience with these 'manmade organic' pearls. They are manmade of the same organic materials as cultured pearls using a 'secret' formula. For those that own them, do they look like cultured or natural pearls? Just so curious and intrigued. It is a Spanish company that came up with the secret formula in 1890.

TIA!!! Please share your thoughts and experience. I love pearls and mother of pearl because I am amazed at what nature can do. I am not sure how I feel about these manmade organic pearls.

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

I've seen them at Nordstrom and occasionally at TJMaxx.

They are very shiny and iridescent, and definitely do not look like natural pearls. They look like glass. Pretty, but.

Frequent Contributor

I love Majorica pearls and have worn them for years. I think most of them do look like really high quality pearls. They are basically made by taking glass pearls and coating them in a mixture of iridescent fish scales and other secret ingredients to give them the glow of natural pearls.

Majorica pearls are especially nice if you want a really long strand or very large pearls that would be prohibitively expensive if they were natural. I have bought mine at Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, and treasure them as if they were natural pearls. I have also given them as gifts, and they were very much appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your replies!

I really need to see Majorica pearls in person. I will see if I find them at TJ Maxx or Nordstrom.

Gioiella, in your experience do you know if Majorica are similar to the Czech glass pearls that were part of the Jacqueline Kennedy Collection? I actually have two strands of JBK pearls and I love them.

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

I purchased Majorca pearls in 1974 when I visited Majorca. I purchased an 18 inch strand of black Majorca pearls. They are very real looking and still are perfect today. Back in 1974 I paid $40 for the pearls.

Trusted Contributor
I have a Majorca pearl necklace that was my Mom's. She purchased it on a trip to Europe when I was a teenager (34 now) and it is beautiful.
Super Contributor

They are very inexpensive and I see them at TJ Max and Marshalls. Nice fashion/costume jewelry.

Esteemed Contributor
Majorica pearls are fantastic! I have several expensive Mikimoto pearl pieces and, honestly, Majorica pearls are pretty much as attractive. I've never seen them at a TJ Maxx. They tend to be expensive (several hundred dollars is not unusual), but I believe it's well worth the extra expense. If you buy from Rue La La, they sometimes have great buys.
Honored Contributor

Some are better than others. I don't think any of them really pass for pearls and often the color is too dark-beige toned. The better ones are really expensive.

Super Contributor
On 7/15/2014 Goldengate8361 said: Majorica pearls are fantastic! I have several expensive Mikimoto pearl pieces and, honestly, Majorica pearls are pretty much as attractive. I've never seen them at a TJ Maxx. They tend to be expensive (several hundred dollars is not unusual), but I believe it's well worth the extra expense. If you buy from Rue La La, they sometimes have great buys.

TJ Maxx $62.00 and when on sale $49.99. Very pretty.