Valued Contributor

Does Judith Ripka's sterling tarnish or is it plated too?

I think I might want the silver in the TSV. I remember an earlier post saying her sterling was rhodium plated. Is it? They don't mention that. Is it my monitor or does her gold plating look brassy?

Super Contributor

Re: Does Judith Ripka's sterling tarnish or is it plated too?

As far as I know, her jewelry is rhodium plated. I have had no issue of her jewelry tarnishing. Which is another reason I like it.

Valued Contributor

I own several pieces of Judith's silver jewelry and they are nickel-free and rhodium plated. The outcome is more of a platinum look and they simply don't tarnish. Her clad process utilizes 14K but matches precisely her 18K couture collection in color (I am fortunate to own a small collection from couture). It has a celadon hue to it so may not match other 14k or 18k collections precisely. Good luck with your decision, Blondelle. I'm wearing the TSV earrings in silver as I write and they are both comfortable and pretty.

Trusted Contributor

I own a lot of Judith's silver. I have for years. Nothing has ever tarnished.

I also now own a fair amount of her yellow and rose gold clad pieces.

They are perfect.

No peeling, no flaking, no tarnish, no problem with any of the pieces.

Honored Contributor

I was in one of the Q outlets a few years ago, they had several Ripka pieces, all badly tarnished. The clerk told me not to buy them. I would assume they have improved the quality by now.

Super Contributor

I have enough Qture Ripka jewelry to open an outlet and not has tarnished nor diminished the color of the metal. However, I care for my jewelry too. I make sure that the YGclad isn't constantly being rubbed, for the friction might cause problems. I also store the jewelry either in the original bags, after wiping clear with an anti-tarnish cloth, or a Lori Grenier box. I do not wear my jewelry into the shower or 24/7. I hope this helps you.
Respected Contributor

Ripka's sterling is sterling, but she puts a rhodium plating on it that is tarnish free. I love the rhodium finish.

Honored Contributor

Silver tarnishes.
Super Contributor

I have had bad experience with Ripka jewelry tarnishing - it is the main reason I don't purchase it anymore. The chains I bought years ago are absolutely dull and I used windex on them as Judith suggested but it didn't really help. I have a Lori Greiner storage unit but it didn;t prevent the tarnish - I've sold almost everything I owned on eBay. No more for me.

Honored Contributor

Judith uses a special blue-gray coating to give her jewelry her characteristic color. I have never had her jewelry tarnish, but some of my jewelry seems to be more grey tone than other pieces. This could be due to my bathroom lighting, as a bulb is always on the fritz. She has mentioned her signature coloration, in very brief comments, she never really goes into the subject much. I wish she would talk about it. I want to know how she sets her designs apart. Jewelry, to me, is an art form, and I love to study jewelry from this standpoint. I am a science teacher with a background in geology and I love studying jewelry from the geology and chemistry standpoints, as well.