Trusted Contributor

Judith Ripka sold her business

I was reading an article regarding a company named XCELBRANDS and had no idea that Judith Ripka sold her business to them in April of this year. It's the same Company that Isaac sold his business to. They also own an interest in Liz Claiborne New York. Maybe this is old news but wanted to share. It's looking like all the lines that did well on QVC. are no longer owned by the original creators and that includes several cosmetic and beauty lines along with handbag lines.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Judith Ripka sold her business

WOW - I knew about Isaac business but not JR. I am too spoiled by JR's old pieces to be happy with the quality of her 'newer' items. I wonder if JR's business sale included her HE jewelry stores.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Beejene, there was a little discussion about this a few months ago.

Perhaps there are some people who aren't aware of it.

Many are curious about how this will affect things.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/judith-ripka/topic/442152/judith-ripka-sold.aspx

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 Pie1993 said:

WOW - I knew about Isaac business but not JR. I am too spoiled by JR's old pieces to be happy with the quality of her 'newer' items. I wonder if JR's business sale included her HE jewelry stores.

I really agree. I was a Ripka fan from years ago, but my QVC purchases have been limited to a few very good sets of earrings. There have been many qRipka pieces that I've thought were very handsome, but the saturation point just seemed to get kind of overwhelming to me.
Super Contributor

This is sad news....

Honored Contributor

I'm not sad; I think we're seeing pretty much how business works. People find an idea, develop it into a business, grow it into a stronger business, and eventually sell to solidify their gains. When JR and the others came to QVC, they were already well known in their respective businesses, but national exposure helped them grow their businesses even further.

It's easy to forget when we see Judith or Louis or Isaac or Susan or Laura or Michael or whoever, that these people are just the "face" of the huge business behind them, and even before they sell that business there may have been multiple owners rather than the one individual we associate with the company.

It's fun to see those people, but when I think of the vast majority of the items I own - there's no face involved. As I look around the room this computer is in now, there's not one thing I can see that came from a "face," but I'm not sad about that.

Trusted Contributor

I was very surprised to read it as I never noticed it here in the Q community. Was surprised at what she got for it. Thought it was worth more then that.

Thanks for including the link to the original post back in April.

Esteemed Contributor

Heavy decorated silver - not my thing - so it's okay with me.

Trusted Contributor

JR always seemed to be a savvy business woman. Manufacturing her jewelry in cheap overseas countries rather than employing fellow Americans, then selling her pieces for top dollar on QVC. She always seemed to maximize profit.

Super Contributor

QVC sold to Liberty Interactive in 2012, I believe. They also have a shopping channel in China. 51% is owned by the Chinese Government. It bothers me because of all the human rights violations,