Super Contributor

GIA Report: Rainbow Calsilica

Jay King has an upcoming visit this week on HSN. With all of the questions last time around about Rainbow Calsilica, I ran across this article from the GIA clearing up once and for all it is indeed a synthetic material. Also note the mention of the TV shopping networks market contained in the report.

Happy shopping! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Frequent Contributor

Re: GIA Report: Rainbow Calsilica

Exactly!! It always reminds me of the jewelry we (around here) had as teens..If you were lucky enough to have a family member or friend that worked at the Ford plant, you could get your hands on harden paint drippings. Then you would cut them into shapes & polish to a glossy shine, drill a hole in them. They made the coolest (LOL) pendants! But since our Ford plant closed a yr ago, In the words of JK..."Can't get them anymore".

Super Contributor

Wow, that's shocking. The description for the stone on HSN says "mined in Mexico."

Respected Contributor

Great post and very eye opening!! Thank you
Super Contributor

Thank you Kath! Very informative. I never bought into the story of the "rainbow casilica" - even though I liked the looks of it. Beauty of jewelry is usually in the eye of the beholder and if any of the forum posters have it, enjoy!! It looks cool.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, thanks kath! I saw those pieces on hsn and wondered about them, too. Very good detective work on your part. Also glad you introduced me to what looks like a very informative site.

Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 VegasBusinessWoman said:

Wow, thanks kath! I saw those pieces on hsn and wondered about them, too. Very good detective work on your part. Also glad you introduced me to what looks like a very informative site.

Yes, VegasBusinessWoman, aren't these gem lovers knowledgable?? I have learned so much and continue to do so, thanks to Kathoderay, Kachina, Ali, Jug and many more. That sharing of information is very much appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

I read the article and did not reach the same conclusion as the OP. The presentation was on specimens sent to the lab that turned out not to be what the person who sent them for testing expected. The rainbow calsilica specimen sent in obviously had issues but nowhere in the article was it stated that all rainbow calsilica is synthetic.

Frequent Contributor

It is synthetic. It has been tested by labs in various countries and the conclusion is always the same. The layered striping is runoff from tile manufacturing, car paint, etc. Interesting that one article actually mentions HSN and Jay King. It is notable that no one specifies where this mine is in Mexico. It is pretty enough in jewelry but the buyer should beware of anyone claiming that it is a natural stone. Google it and a myriad of reports show up.

Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Vickie00 said:

I read the article and did not reach the same conclusion as the OP. The presentation was on specimens sent to the lab that turned out not to be what the person who sent them for testing expected. The rainbow calsilica specimen sent in obviously had issues but nowhere in the article was it stated that all rainbow calsilica is synthetic.

Good point Vickie.

Although, if one searches the GIA gem catalog for rainbow calsilica, what do you come up with?