Contributor

Shawn's ring...questions about tarnishing

I bought my daughter Shawn's ring and she loves it...beautiful & weighty piece! However, it is tarnishing terribly even being worn daily. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the ring...have you found anything other than polishing and cleaning daily that has solved the issue? Or is this maybe just a faulty lot of rings?

We do not want to have to return the ring and I was even wanting to purchase one for myself but I have never seen SS tarnish this severely being worn daily and I have many SS pieces from QVC and other places.

I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this before we call CS...it could be an isolated problem I suppose.

Thanks for your input!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Shawn's ring...questions about tarnishing

I have it and love it. All silver tarnishes, and this piece doesn't tarnish any quicker than my other pieces. I just use my cloth and sparkle her right back up. I love this ring and wear it often.

Regular Contributor

On 7/5/2014 QVCclosetQueen said:

I have it and love it. All silver tarnishes, and this piece doesn't tarnish any quicker than my other pieces. I just use my cloth and sparkle her right back up. I love this ring and wear it often.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I wear this ring EVERY day, and yes it does tarnish, but I have a silver cleaning cloth (Silpada, I think) that takes about three seconds to clean it right up!
Contributor

On 7/5/2014 QVCclosetQueen said:

Oh I know SS does tarnish but her ring will turn almost completely black on her finger in a day's time after being polished and cleaned the day before. If she had other SS that was tarnishing this severely I would think it was the oil & all in her skin but she has never had SS tarnish like this.

The ring is a beautiful piece overall. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

That is awful. Don't keep it. It's not worth the trouble. Not all silver turns a finger black. Nasty.
Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 ritasNo1Fan said: That is awful. Don't keep it. It's not worth the trouble. Not all silver turns a finger black. Nasty.

It's not the finger that's turning black, it's the RING that's turning black.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Yuban3 said:
On 7/5/2014 ritasNo1Fan said: That is awful. Don't keep it. It's not worth the trouble. Not all silver turns a finger black. Nasty.

It's not the finger that's turning black, it's the RING that's turning black.

Yes Yuban3...it is the ring. And that is what is perplexing that a SS piece being worn daily is doing this. She can clean thoroughly with a cleaning solution and cleaning cloth...it will be beautifully polished. Then the next day it is tarnished like it has not been worn or cleaned in years!

Respected Contributor

Shopping1

That is so weird. I have this ring and wear it a bunch of times a week and have never had to polish it. I wondering if it is the alloy that is mixed with the sterling that is causing this. Sorry she is having this issue, it really is a great ring.

Deb

Contributor

SFGIANTSGIRL...It is a beautiful ring and she loves it! I may call CS to see if they have had other complaints of this, even random ones. It could be the alloy being too high in some batches of the rings.

Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 shopping1 said:

SFGIANTSGIRL...It is a beautiful ring and she loves it! I may call CS to see if they have had other complaints of this, even random ones. It could be the alloy being too high in some batches of the rings.

Good luck. Maybe CS will let you exchange it for another. I hope it works out for her. This has become one of my favorite go to rings.

Deb