New Contributor

HONORA MING PEARLS -??GOOD VALUE

I would appreciate any advice/opinions/knowledge regarding Honora's Ming pearls and their retail value. Are the prices on QVC a good deal? Are Ming(Edison) pearls very common in today's market? I heard Joel comment on the 04-12-14 show that pearls prices are rising?!?

The Ming pearls are absolutely gorgeous (the round 14kt). I just don't know that much about this type of pearl but was thinking that they would be a nice alternative to south sea pearls at a much more affordable price.

Thank you{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Re: HONORA MING PEARLS -??GOOD VALUE

I was all enthused about these coming shows. Until I saw the word ""bronze"" in all the descriptions. For those prices they can use sterling.

Super Contributor

Pearl Paradise has some really outstanding information on pearl pricing.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/16/2014 depglass said:

I was all enthused about these coming shows. Until I saw the word ""bronze"" in all the descriptions. For those prices they can use sterling.

Me too also

Super Contributor

Judging from the varied reviews on the TSV Mings, I think perceived value would depend on the actual strand. With 3000+ strands, some will be better than others.

Respected Contributor

I was finally able to view the TSV for the first time. The quality of the sample strand looks pretty rough. Did anyone here buy it?

Super Contributor

On 4/18/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

I was finally able to view the TSV for the first time. The quality of the sample strand looks pretty rough.

What Ezzy said. The factors that contribute to pearl value are fairly consistent. Round, smooth, surface blemishes, depth of nacre, quality of nacre, quality of orient ...

If you don't own high-quality pearls for a side-by-side, you can find pearl buying guides (I got mine from the library). It's helpful to kook at the photos. Also, if you find jewelry stores to be intimidating, you can look at pearls at Costco. See what a $10,000 strand of pearls looks like.

Regular Contributor

I got the TSV & my 18"" & 20"" set is much rougher than the examples shown in photos/on models. Mine are going back. I would be embarrassed to be seen in public with them on. No one would know they were real pearls & not a failed plastic experiment. However they are Sterling silver not bronze as mentioned above. The colors are beautiful it is the shape of the pearls that is ugly. They are all over the map in one necklace.
Super Contributor

On 4/18/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/18/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

I was finally able to view the TSV for the first time. The quality of the sample strand looks pretty rough.

What Ezzy said. The factors that contribute to pearl value are fairly consistent. Round, smooth, surface blemishes, depth of nacre, quality of nacre, quality of orient ...

If you don't own high-quality pearls for a side-by-side, you can find pearl buying guides (I got mine from the library). It's helpful to kook at the photos. Also, if you find jewelry stores to be intimidating, you can look at pearls at Costco. See what a $10,000 strand of pearls looks like.

My mother bought a south sea strand at Costco a few years ago (before she passed away) and they are gorgeous. I think she paid around $3000 for them...their prices have gone up.