Trusted Contributor

How does one determine the quality of the stones when they do not rate them in the description. If you own any pieces have you been pleased with the color? Thanks

Frequent Contributor

The ts last night was AAA, there are various grades, production quality is usually what is offered. The price is a good guide.

Honored Contributor

My daughter's mother in law has traveled around the world several times. She always says to me that the fact that Tanzanite is worth something is a gimick. She said there is plenty of the gemstone there.

I have a lot of it in different colors. My guess is some of it is good stuff and some of it is junk. I don't know the difference. I only know what I like. The places in my life (i.e. Drs, cashiers, etc) don't know if something is good quality, they only like the color).

That's the way I am. If I don't pay tons of money for it, I figure I'm doing good either way.

Respected Contributor

equss,

My DJF is a jeweler who creates pieces in the thousands of dollars range. He would not touch the stuff on TV and has said so.

He sent me a pic of a tansy ring that they was over $8,000. That stone was exquisite. The supply is finite and Chinese are buying.

But if you are spending under $1000 for a tanzanite ring, be realistic.

Respected Contributor
Agree Java, only spend at my jeweler now. Been burned enough getting poor quality.
Honored Contributor

They used to sell great quality Tanzanite. But this new thing of putting it into costume is just a shame. It's all silver and gold coated silver. It makes it look cheap, even when they use average quality stones.

The stones are not the worst I've seen, though.

What a shame. Chuck C used to sell incredible tanzanite in gold or in platinum.

Valued Contributor
On 4/13/2014 chickenbutt said:

They used to sell great quality Tanzanite. But this new thing of putting it into costume is just a shame. It's all silver and gold coated silver. It makes it look cheap, even when they use average quality stones.

The stones are not the worst I've seen, though.

What a shame. Chuck C used to sell incredible tanzanite in gold or in platinum.

You are SO right--but that ship sailed a while ago.

Honored Contributor
On 4/13/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

The ts last night was AAA, there are various grades, production quality is usually what is offered. The price is a good guide.

Actually there is no official rating system for gemstones. I've head Michael say something is AAA, but that would be a rating he made up. I remember the first time i ever saw Tanzanite, at one of the International Gem Shows in Houston in the late '80's. The stones were large, nickel size and very dark and saturated with color. They were the same saturation as a dark amethyst. I didn't ask the price. The stuff they show on TV doesn't resemble what i saw..
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Thanks all. I ordered an inexpensive(at least by their standards) piece of tanzanite form Tiffany that I ended up returning due to color. I realize inexpensive tanzanite isn't going to be top rate, but I do want pretty color if I am going to spend. I am realistic about that but this colorless junk they peddle is just sad. I was mostly wondering if the photos on-line are ven close or do you receive it and feel disappointed? Guess I missed the boat I did see a very nice piece at Costco once...should paid attention.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if they still do, but Costco used to sell REALLY nice fine jewelry. I have a really cool ruby and diamond ring I got there some 20+ years ago. I used to frequently peruse the fine jewelry case when I went into the store and always saw really great quality stuff.