Honored Contributor

I've only seen them in the Insider, not on air. Intriguing.

Valued Contributor

It's cultured pearl developed in China. Large, usually pastel, round or baroque.

Super Contributor

Most freshwater pearls are cultivated with a small piece of mantle tissue. Ming pearls are cultivated with a bead, similar to Akoya and South Sea cultivation.

Ming pearls are also known as Edison pearls -- previous discussions here ...

http://community.qvc.com/forums/jewelry-talk/topic/210235/pearls-finer-but-still-cheap-flow-from-ch...

http://community.qvc.com/forums/honora-pearls/topic/408106/ming-pearls-please.aspx

http://community.qvc.com/forums/honora-pearls/topic/371633/ming-pearls.aspx

Respected Contributor

You may want to look into this type of pearl and the difference in quality and pricing before purchasing. I find that helpful especially with new technology. Some vendors offer them but not all the qualities are the same.

Respected Contributor

Photo taken in Hong Kong last month by Kevin Canning Pearls of Joy ""Edisons""

Respected Contributor

Natural colors... YUM! Kevin Canning Pearls of Joy photo March 2014

Honored Contributor

ennui1, thanks for those links, I read every word. And ezzy, thanks for the Kojima pic. That is what I am looking for, the irregular finish, not pure round. When Honora was sold, I thought there goes another QVC company and quit watching. But seeing that necklace in the Insider has brought my interest back. I have two inherited plain pearl strands so any buying I've done is in the "fashion" category, meaning natural and dyed colored necks and ears.

Super Contributor

depglass, Honora has had Ming pearls on QVC for awhile now. If you click this link for a search, maybe it will help if you see some of the videos on the other items.

On the bay, the closest I've seen to these are often called "ripple", "nuclear" pearls or kasumi-like pearls.

I did have one of these necklaces at one time, but ended up sending it back because one was so very yellow, and that just is a color I don't care for. Golden is fine, but that one was a shade I just couldn't get myself to like. Otherwise, it was really pretty and so hard to let go of! This thread has a pic of the necklace I had, but the yellow didn't come through as strongly as it did in person. The lighting does have an effect on these.

Just a tidbit, that purple pearl in the pic above was valued at $15,000 to $20,000, and someone did purchase it. Amazing!

Super Contributor
On 4/6/2014 jetts_mom said:

Just a tidbit, that purple pearl in the pic above was valued at $15,000 to $20,000, and someone did purchase it. Amazing!

Ezzy posts photos of the best ... usually out of the price range of us mere mortals. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I guess I should be glad I don't like the smooth ones as much. But that purple is just beautiful.