Super Contributor

Jewelry Changing Color!! NEED Your Opinion!

So last year for my birthday I received as a gift the Tiffany Sterling Lock Bracelet (the same bracelet host Shawn wears). I love this bracelet and have worn it everyday for almost a year now. Since I like to layer bracelets, I've always worn this Tiffany bracelet with other things. Everything from STERLING, BRONZO, GOLD (some fashion, some real, depends on the day). I wear these bracelets layered next to my watch. Love the look!!

Here's the situation… A few weeks ago I purchased a Michael Kors Goldtone link bracelet that has a padlock dangling from it. Thought this bracelet layered next to my Tiffany was a great addition with all my other "stuff". Well since I've been doing this I've noticed my Tiffany bracelet beginning to tarnish. I felt so incomplete about this because I love my Tiffany bracelet so much; it was gifted to me by someone very dear to me. I immediately had to rush out to my jewelers and get it cleaned ASAP. He polished it up and brought it back to life (Thank Goodness!).

My question is… Do any of you jewelry experts think the Michael Kors link bracelet was the culprit of darkening my Tiffany bracelet? My Tiffany bracelet was mostly darkened on the lock… right near the other lock Kors bracelet dangling down. My Kors bracelet looks fine.

I'm confused how this one bracelet would do this to my sterling when I've worn nearly everything else next to it for the past year. Even have worn on occasion Michael Kors "Gold" watches next to the Tiffany one and nothing was ever a problem.

Any insight?? TIA Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Jewelry Changing Color!! NEED Your Opinion!

It may be coincidental and could still be something else. Have you changed anything else lately in your life? Have you been ill and used medication or changed medication? Added something new to your skincare routine, moved to another area recently?

Honored Contributor

Sterling tarnishes. I have mega expensive sterling that has tarnished and cheap sterling that never changes color at all. As long as it hasn't pitted, it CAN be polished. Unless told otherwise by an independent jeweler, I'd wear them together (if you still want to) and enjoy them. I'm pretty sure that Tiffany's would tell you to buy all your bracelets from them if you inquired there.
Super Contributor

I doubt the tarnishing is caused by the MK bracelet but its possible. I do have Tiffany Bracelets & have the paddlock on their clasping charm bracelet. I have some of their SS earings that do tarnish more often & I clean them with a polishing cloth, but I don't usually mix them with other metals.

I find I have to polish my Tiffany more often than less expensive SS. So just maybe the lock was starting to tarnish & you just noticed it more that day.

Contributor

There is actually a process known as galvanic corrosion where dissimilar metals in contact may be enough to cause tarnish. Usually there is a fluid involved, but sweat and skin oils may be enough. A silver and a silver plating, for example can cause tarnish in contact. I am not a jewelry expert, but this is an issue that is of significant concern in the body where implants, pacemakers components of mixed metals in contact can corrode and are accelerated in the presence of body fluids.
Regular Contributor

re: the galvanic reaction - a funny story - I was eating a salad and a piece of lettuce was caught between 2 teeth and I suddenly had a jolt of electricity shoot into my head. My dentist explained that the enamel around one of my metal fillings eroded and the lettuce conducted a current between the 2 fillings. Thankfully I've had one replaced now with a crown so won't have to worry about eating lettuce again. It was really painful and truly ""shocking"".

Contributor

On 4/6/2014 juliet said:

re: the galvanic reaction - a funny story - I was eating a salad and a piece of lettuce was caught between 2 teeth and I suddenly had a jolt of electricity shoot into my head. My dentist explained that the enamel around one of my metal fillings eroded and the lettuce conducted a current between the 2 fillings. Thankfully I've had one replaced now with a crown so won't have to worry about eating lettuce again. It was really painful and truly "shocking".

Sorry that happened, but thank you for sharing. I would never have guessed something that extreme could have happened. I hope your future salads are painless.
Respected Contributor

I don't know about the connection between the two bracelets, but have you tried just polishing your bracelet with a silver cleaning cloth? My Tiffany bracelet polishes up nicely just using that.

In fact, all jewelry will stay nicer if you run the polishing cloth over it every night when you take it off.